3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant resevoir tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010 | 01:17 AM
AaronOregon
|
Rookie
Default Coolant resevoir tank?

Where's the best place to get one for a 2002 4.7? Mine is leaking around the filler neck. Thanks!

Aaron

Old 09-21-2010 | 10:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I can only think of the junk yards, ebay or craigslist

Old 09-21-2010 | 12:04 PM
pjordan4477
Veteran

it's called JB Weld

Old 09-21-2010 | 12:17 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

LOL.....been there and done that

Old 09-21-2010 | 12:45 PM
garider

A quick search and I see that they are $54 from Dodge. At that price I might shop around too! With a little ingenuity, you could probably use many different tanks from various makes and models.

I have an '04 and it leaks a bit too. Just enough to get wet around the filler neck. What did Dodge expect with such a hard to snap-on & off cap?

Old 09-21-2010 | 01:19 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

Will JB Weld help? Mine has been leaking for a while, figured if I replace it, it would just do it again. Did you just fill in that little gap?

Old 09-21-2010 | 02:53 PM
AaronOregon
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flying Mullet
Will JB Weld help? Mine has been leaking for a while, figured if I replace it, it would just do it again. Did you just fill in that little gap?
Have you noticed getting air in your cooling system? I ask because I keep hearing a gurgling noise in my heater core and I am thinking it is sucking in air as it cools. Mine has also been leaking a while. Thanks!

Aaron

Old 09-21-2010 | 03:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I imagine you could also use silicon if the crack is not too bad

Old 09-22-2010 | 06:21 AM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

I can hear the air noise around the cap. No air in the system and not over heating at all. Pretty sure the noise from the air is from when it heats up and the coolant rises in the tank and pushes the air out of the area of the neck where it leaks along with some of the coolant. Not much but noticeable.

Weed- I was thinking of silicone but wouldn't I have to use one that could handle the heat? I have to look and see what it out there to use with high temp ranges. I don't see any cracks anywhere just the small gap around the neck, I guess I really have to look at it when it is warm to see exactly where the leak is, I just saw coolant around the neck and heard the air and assumed it was from the neck gap area.

Old 09-22-2010 | 06:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by Flying Mullet
Weed- I was thinking of silicone but wouldn't I have to use one that could handle the heat? I have to look and see what it out there to use with high temp ranges. I don't see any cracks anywhere just the small gap around the neck, I guess I really have to look at it when it is warm to see exactly where the leak is, I just saw coolant around the neck and heard the air and assumed it was from the neck gap area.
I know we can it a reservoir tank but I just want to clarify thats what it is and not a transfer tank. A transfer tank is one where product (liquid in this case) would be moved back and both. Although the tank does serve this purpose, how often does coolant get pushed into and drawn from the tank? I doubt it is that much or that often that the internal contents would be at such a high temp.

With all of that being said, they make high temp RTV or silicon. We use it on our oil pans, trans pans and rear diff cover. I think the red or black Permatex is what you want. I have used both with no issues but think mine was black

Quick Reply: Coolant resevoir tank?