3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Brakes and rotors question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 AM
nickxx4360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Brakes and rotors question

Hello Guys. I am new to this site and I want to Greet everyone.
I have a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 Slt quad . I recently had the Front brakes and rotors changed with after-market parts from a local auto parts shop. I had them put in by a reputable mechanic shop in my area.
After about 1000 miles the truck would shake pretty hard when I apply the brakes. This happens on the high way @ speeds above 60 MPH. The higher the speed I am breaking from, the more violent of a shake.
Should I change the brake and rotors with OEM parts? This just cost me 375 and I know OEM parts aint cheap, plus the labor
I was thinking of changing the rotors myself, How hard of a job can it be?
Any and all suggestions would be great.
Thanks!!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Lecrict
Professional

Sounds like one of your Rotors is warped. I'd go back to that shop and see if it's under warranty

Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
nickxx4360

The shop didn’t warrantee them because I bought them in from an auto parts shop. They only warrantee them if they were bought and put in where I had the work done. So should I i am pretty much dead in the water :-(

So what do you suggest I do then?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If they are warped you will have to take them off (rotors) and get them turned (cut down and made true or straight) and put them back on. If they cannot be turned then they have to be replaced.

The shop putting them on did not cause this. It is caused my hot metal cooling down to fast.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM
nickxx4360

Originally Posted by weedahoe
If they are warped you will have to take them off (rotors) and get them turned (cut down and made true or straight) and put them back on. If they cannot be turned then they have to be replaced.

The shop putting them on did not cause this. It is caused my hot metal cooling down to fast.
OK, thanks, I got a quote to have the rotors cut and I might as well get them replaced. Would this have happened if I got the OEM rotors?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

OEM rotors are usually the worst about warping. Places around here run about 7-10 bux to cut and turn rotors. If your costs are higher, you may want to keep calling around. Try some machine shops with machine lathes.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
pjordan4477
Veteran

Originally Posted by nickxx4360
OK, thanks, I got a quote to have the rotors cut and I might as well get them replaced. Would this have happened if I got the OEM rotors?

Thanks

Let me give you the BRAKE down (I crack myself up) on brakes.

Turn those rotors and see if it happens again before taking them back.

Second, it's not hard to change them, though you might need about $20 in tools, to make it easy.

Brake lesson:
If the steering wheel shakes on the slow down it's your Front Rotors. Now, what caused this? It could be a bad brake hose or caliper. If you choose to do this yourself, here is your check list:
1. Start with the passenger wheel (cause it's farthest from the master cylinder).
2. Will the caliper pull off the rotor with ease (once you've taken the bolts off). If no, the caliper may be frozen. Time to change them. If yes, see #3.
3. Inspect your brake hose. Are there lots of cracks? Is it wet? Does it look swollen? Yes to any question, and you should change the hose.
4. Back to the Caliper. After getting a easy turn caliper tool (for compressing the caliper piston) How hard was it to compress? It should be as easy as a rusty nut off a rusty bolt, slow and steady.
5. If the rotor was not turned prior to install, it is possible it was warped from day 1 (it happens). A good shop would turn them right out of the box.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
gidy34
Rookie

It is also possible that the guys that put the new rotors on did not torque the lugs nuts to specs which would cause premature warping.

Does the steering wheel shake or is can you feel it in the seat... Seat = rear brakes.

Will the Auto parts store make good on their product?

Old 09-21-2010, 12:45 PM
nickxx4360

Originally Posted by pjordan4477
Let me give you the BRAKE down (I crack myself up) on brakes.

Turn those rotors and see if it happens again before taking them back.

Second, it's not hard to change them, though you might need about $20 in tools, to make it easy.

Brake lesson:
If the steering wheel shakes on the slow down it's your Front Rotors. Now, what caused this? It could be a bad brake hose or caliper. If you choose to do this yourself, here is your check list:
1. Start with the passenger wheel (cause it's farthest from the master cylinder).
2. Will the caliper pull off the rotor with ease (once you've taken the bolts off). If no, the caliper may be frozen. Time to change them. If yes, see #3.
3. Inspect your brake hose. Are there lots of cracks? Is it wet? Does it look swollen? Yes to any question, and you should change the hose.
4. Back to the Caliper. After getting a easy turn caliper tool (for compressing the caliper piston) How hard was it to compress? It should be as easy as a rusty nut off a rusty bolt, slow and steady.
5. If the rotor was not turned prior to install, it is possible it was warped from day 1 (it happens). A good shop would turn them right out of the box.
1. When you say "turn the rotors" you mean remove them from and then do like a quater turn to the next bolt?

2.What tools would I need to remove the rotors.

3. thanks for the sound advise everyone :-)

Old 09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
gidy34
Rookie

no ... turn means on a brake lathe done at a machine shop or repair shop if they have one.... as weed said about 7-10 bucks a rotor.

Quick Reply: 2004 Brakes and rotors question