3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:39 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Quit filling it after the pump clicks off. You are putting liquid fuel into the vapor recovery system causing low flow.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM
wildgoose2151
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Woody, I found from somewhere else in this thread that I could turn the ignition on and off and on and off then on within 5 seconds and it would give me the code. This worked fine on my 2002 ram 1500 with a 4.7 ltr engine. Later on the light went off by itself and I determined it must have been as someone else in this thread that I had topped off the gas tank while filling it. I won't do that again. To think that I might have spent $300 or $400 to replace a catalytic converter when it was just due to me overfilling the gas tank.
Jim

Old 12-14-2008, 11:56 AM
wildgoose2151

Thanks LX, I think I have learned my lesson about topping off at the pump. If it hadn't cleared on it's own I was going to replace the gas cap just to eliminate that possibility. I sure didn't want to replace a catalytic converter if it really wasn't necessary.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Merc4Stroke

Originally Posted by woodywoodhemi
On my 04 ram hemi, the way I check my code through the odometer is as follows;
1. Press and hold the trip odometer button.
2. Turn the key on(only far enough to turn the radio on)while still holding the trip odometer button in.
It's that easy. you'll notice what looks like the odometer cycle through 0-120mph and back. what you are looking for after is the type of code letter c code= chassis, or p code= power train, etc... After you receive the code letter it tell you the four digits(#'s) to complete the code
example:
"p code"-pause-"18 95" would read "P1895 (TCM to ECM) Torque Reduction Circuit".
or,
"c code"-pause-"00 00' would read "C0000 Vehicle Speed Information Circuit Malfunction".
I hope this rare info gets to some of you folks, that have the newer option(being able to read codes thru the odometer).

For Those About To Rock,
WWH.
Thanks Woody,

Holding the trip button in while turning the key did the trick.

Now, what does the "Vehicle Speed Information Circuit Malfunction" mean?

LOL Time to read a little more.

Quick Reply: another check engine light