3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what mods do i have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

That tuner he has is normally used on 03s where idle on be cams cannot be adjusted. Thats why when he took it off it will not start on its own and idle. On 04+ we can adjust idle so for bigger cams that have tighter LSA we can run those.

I think OE football has one of those Split Tuners

Old 10-28-2010, 03:08 PM
lschones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the tuner is a simple plug and play type device...it plugs directly into the cam sensor on the top of the motor and has a rotary dial to set parameters...but i need a scan tool to set long term and short term fuel per manufacts specs on the tuner...but the i have messed with the tuner..up and down and made very slight changes to it and no result

with the flux in the rpms that is telling me that it could be the TPS having a hard time reading the tuner or vise versa but again...that is an expensive guess so im goin to pull the valve covers off i guess and see what i find none of my friends have dodges so asking to borrow a TB is impossible...

and to red: i believe it is stock throttle body...no after market stamps or emblems and suggestions on a decent after market TB?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:07 PM
lschones

ok so after doing neg side reset and driving it....did not do anything for it...but i did figure something out

when in drive at stop sign and brake applied if i turn the steering wheel a half of turn, the truck dies.

does a high idle switch come into affect when the ps pump is engaged and puts load on motor? i know high idle comes for ac compressor but im not sure of the extent of its purpose.

power steering fluid is ok..but has somewhat of a stinch almost like burnt tranny fluid

any ideas??????

Old 10-28-2010, 05:39 PM
lschones

after it dies it acts like it is getting no fuel or spark...no for sure which one...it wants to sit and crank for a minute and after about 10 seconds of cranking it will finally start

Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 PM
lschones

Last edited by lschones; 10-28-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the modified TB's are OEM that have been machined, so there are really no indicators other than a thin leading edge.

I have a feeling you have a sensor/wiring issue. The truck did run properly when you first bought it? There is test procedures for measuring most sensors. Weed usually has the handle on these links. But a good start as stated would be check the valve springs. And I would look at the plugs to see if there is an odd cylinder.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 PM
lschones

TB=OEM no mods on it..thick leading edge

Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 AM
lschones

ok...so i read a thing about how o2 sensors work...im thinking that they could be a problem too...i dont have a CAT but all o2 sensors are in place...what i dont know is sense an o2 sensor tells the computer if the engine is running lean or rich...and a cammed engine almost always runs rich...could this be a communication problem with the engine and computer...that maybe the computer is trying to turn the fuel ratio up and down to compensate at low idle? could this really be a tuner problem? just an idea...please someone help me

Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If I am not mistaken there is a TSB on the trucks that stall when making turns and coming to dead stops.

You can look HERE for those codes as well as other useful info but you may also want to do some searching on the site for other that have had the same issue. I have seen more than a few guys with that same problem

Old 10-30-2010, 07:28 PM
lschones

if i know someone that has an onboard tuner...like a bully dog or other brand...can i use it to set my parameters and will it hold when the tuner is unplugged...im curious if this will work bc i have a buddy that has a bully dog and im not really up to par on these tuner things

and will the pcm remember his settings when unplugged...??

weed....i found an exhaust leak right in a weld right after the header flanges...i think they used the stock y pipe and for some reason there is a weld there...the weld is forward facing which could be why i am getting 420 and 430 codes...im gonna repair that tomrrow...as for the check engine light it came on when i started it this morning but i went out and jumped in it about 30 min ago to run up to the store and it has gone back off...i drove about 170 miles yesterday and it never came on. but still dying all of the time maybe if i get this exhaust leak fixed, the o2 sensors can work properly and it may fix itself what do you think?

Last edited by lschones; 10-30-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: what mods do i have?