3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what mods do i have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 AM
lschones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what mods do i have?

i bought an 04 dodge about 2 months ago. I have gone through this truck from front bumper to rear bumper trying to figure out what all the previous owner has done to it and hope to get pics up soon...but it is 4 in the morning here and dark...so none right now sorry

i am having problems for one; at stop signs, lights, or even pulling into a parking spot the truck will die. it does not do it all of the time but becoming more of a problem as the days go by. the check engine light is throwing multiple codes like random cylinder misfire, TPS, EGR overcurrent, mass air flow sensor, 02 sensor, and CPS as i said above i do not know all of the mods the engine has bc i did not do them but i will try my best and maybe from this info you guys can help me out. when i wake up i will post all codes that was read...right now they are not accessible...due to sleeping wife

K&N CAI, after market cam--brand and ratios unknown, Split Second Cam Tuner, Hedman headers, 1-60 series flow single inlet/dual outlet, street glow neons(white), black and chrome 20s,e-fan, electronic exhaust cut-out--brand and size unknown, cowl induct hood, in-dash dvd player, head rest screens, strobes in tails and in fog lights, tinted glass, no CAT...not required in our state, do not know if any work done to rear-end.

truck is solid and runs very good when out on the highway...but in town it sucks bc it dies so much

no chip, that i am aware of, thinking that may be the problem...truck tuned with chip and then chip is no longer apart of the equation. could this just be a tuner problem or something more? Please help

Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try a PCM reboot/reset.
Take off the negative lead on the truck battery for 90 seconds. (you will loose your radio pre-sets).
Then, switch on the truck to the ignition position, but do not start it. This lets the PCM work out where the Throttle body blade and parameters are. (acording to the 03-03 manual). Since you have removed the TB and cleaned it, this might be a good idea.
Switch back off.....then fire the truck up. Do not press the accelerator, but let the truck fire up and idle andf try to work out it's fuel/air trims etc.
It might stumble while it does this, but leave it alone.
After it settles, take her out, warm her up, then drive it like you stole it so it remaps stuff.
Try this and see what happens.
Don't be alarmed if the ABS light and a warning light comes on when you initially drive it. This should dissapear after driving 50 feet or so.
Al.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Matt99
Champion

I think it might be a tune problem...a member on here has a problem with his new cam and i think they have gotten it down to an air fuel problem...but hes having the same problem, it dies at a stop

could they guy have sold his tuner and restored his truck to a stock tune? Is there any way to get in touch w him

Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lschones
i bought an 04 dodge about 2 months ago. I have gone through this truck from front bumper to rear bumper trying to figure out what all the previous owner has done to it and hope to get pics up soon...but it is 4 in the morning here and dark...so none right now sorry

i am having problems for one; at stop signs, lights, or even pulling into a parking spot the truck will die. it does not do it all of the time but becoming more of a problem as the days go by. the check engine light is throwing multiple codes like random cylinder misfire, TPS, EGR overcurrent, mass air flow sensor, 02 sensor, and CPS as i said above i do not know all of the mods the engine has bc i did not do them but i will try my best and maybe from this info you guys can help me out. when i wake up i will post all codes that was read...right now they are not accessible...due to sleeping wife

K&N CAI, after market cam--brand and ratios unknown, Split Second Cam Tuner, Hedman headers, 1-60 series flow single inlet/dual outlet, street glow neons(white), black and chrome 20s,e-fan, electronic exhaust cut-out--brand and size unknown, cowl induct hood, in-dash dvd player, head rest screens, strobes in tails and in fog lights, tinted glass, no CAT...not required in our state, do not know if any work done to rear-end.

truck is solid and runs very good when out on the highway...but in town it sucks bc it dies so much

no chip, that i am aware of, thinking that may be the problem...truck tuned with chip and then chip is no longer apart of the equation. could this just be a tuner problem or something more? Please help
I doubt the issue with the truck cutting off is related to your mods or tuning. Do some searching here on the board and you will find others have has the same issue with stopping. Some has been related to the EGR valve, some has been low trans fluid, ECT.

So you know you have a CAI, nice. There is no way of knowing the cam specs without pulling it out or having the cam card. How do you know you have a custom cam anyway? If nothing else and IF it is a custom cam then Im sure it is either a Comp Cams 260, a 6.1 cam or maybe a FRI Sidewinder. Those are the only ones I can think of that will run without custom tuning. I doubt he had a tuner per se because he has the Split Second Cam Tuner. It seems you pretty much know all the mods you have. As for the cutout, just get under the truck and look for any stampings. There are really only 3 makers i can think of. There is DMH (the best), QTP (not too good) and Raceland (budget priced and decent)

Now on your next post you need to have some pics of everything or dont bother posting...... j/k

But we do like pics seriously.

As for getting in touch with the seller, if you got it from the dealer then go back and talk to the salesman and ask for the previous owners info. If he wont give it to you for privacy reasons then ask them to contact the owner and put you on the phone with him. Chances are the previous owner wont mind you talking to him anyway. If it came through an auction and not a direct trade in then you swill have to find him through VIN/DMV records.

Last edited by weedahoe; 10-28-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

It sounds like you will have some fun sorting this out. I agree with Al the reboot will give your PCM a fresh start. And as you read through the posts you will find the list of basic mods that most folks have. Posting pictures someone might even recognize the truck and beable to give you some information.
So mods already identified are:
CAI, eFan, headers, cam?.
Additional visual mods to look for can include, pwr wire, HD trans cooler, modified TB (you cleaned it, is it stock?) Gauges? A/F gauge? brakes, suspension, check differential for type and gear ratio, traction bars, oem shocks? Does the TC freely spin up? And of course if you could talk to the previous owner would really help.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 PM
lschones

i have taken the cam tuner completely out..did a reset on the pcm and the truck will not start at all it will fire off but jumps to 1500 rpm then dies...it wont even stay running if i push the gas in...something tells me it really is an after market cam if it cant run even after the a reset and no tuner...the truck is stout on take off...in fact between 10 and 40 mph is where my low end power is and can basically smoke the tires off of it...

the reason i posted on the other thread was because i had read on another forum that the guy was throwing basically the same codes, and he had a broken valve spring...this interested me so i started investigating and found that he was the only one that i could find that is having the same code problems i am...so i asked you fine gentlemen to verify

as for the TB...i believe its stock
i would like to get rid of the cam tuner and just do a chip and tune but once again...money is an issue and im just trying to get the truck runnin right i drive this truck about 175 miles a day and if it could be a valve spring i would like to know so i can get it fixed before i do more damage..im gonna go work on it some today and see what i can find

I am leaning more towards a TPS than anything bc of the flux in rpm...that being said when i adjust the tuner to a higher setting the flux comes more prominent, but again the truck wont run without the tuner....soooooo i really dont even know where to start...lol thanks guys

Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 PM
lschones

i will get pics up soon...i need to take it and get it washed first...it has rained here and i havent had the time to wash it and not posting a pic of this truck dirty...lol

Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 PM
lschones

as for the guy that owned it before me...i would have to track him down bc the truck went through 3 dealerships before it came to me

Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lschones
i have taken the cam tuner completely out..did a reset on the pcm and the truck will not start at all it will fire off but jumps to 1500 rpm then dies...it wont even stay running if i push the gas in...something tells me it really is an after market cam if it cant run even after the a reset and no tuner...the truck is stout on take off...in fact between 10 and 40 mph is where my low end power is and can basically smoke the tires off of it...
You are correct. If there was a tuner then it is because there is a custom cam. Without the tuner the truck will not run right as you noticed. so you just made a bad thing worse. Put the tuner back on and pray you get it all right.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM
abarmby
Champion

OK..........First things first.
It will be quite a bit of work but, the only way to say for sure that a valve spring is stuffed, is to pull the valve covers.
You could probably do this check in 3-4 hours and then you would know 100% for sure, the springs are OK. It will also cost you nothing but your time, so it's good from that point of view as well.
You will then be working from a known good point and can then move safely forward.
If the springs are good.......well........I would then take it back to the dealership where you bought it from. Surely, they have some kind of warranty on a used truck?
They can't just sell you it and wash their hands. I'd have them check it out on their $.
If it has a cam which I'm pretty sure it has, some kind of tune will be mandatory of some kind to get it to run. The 268 grind cams are very aggressive compared to say a 260 and if it's one of these it most definately will need a tune to even run anywhere near smooth.
Maybe one of the guys on here can chime in a little on a tuner/guru?

To be honest....after thinking about it a little more, I think I would go to the dealership that sold you it and ask if they can help you.
Can't hurt.

If they won't, do the valve spring checks and then work forward.

Hope this helps in some way?
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 10-28-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: what mods do i have?