3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
theglassassjason
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok you say not to use capacitor error cancellors, but if you used error cancellors and used relay harness would you still have the incredible draw that you are talking about because now the ballast is not drawing as well. I have to use dual relay harness because i like in canada and have DRLs and they have a winkiing effect during the day when u turn on the turn signal, hope i can make it work, i perfer not to use resistors which create massive amounts of heat

Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Go back to the first page and read how everything works and is supposed to work and why you need resistors. The relay in the harness carried the load of the ballasts directly to the battery. There is no more load on the OEM headlight harness than what was there originally from your 50/55w bulbs

Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM
southpaw84
Default problem

I installed my headlight hid kit on my truck tonight and used a harness for it, I didnt use the resistors and know i need to install them as well. but my problem is that after installing the kit when the truck is running it strobes 3 or 4 times and then shuts off even with the harness, and my fog lights for some reason wouldnt turn on. i put the halogens back in for the times being and the fogs work fine.. any help is appreciated thanks

Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by southpaw84
I installed my headlight hid kit on my truck tonight and used a harness for it, I didnt use the resistors and know i need to install them as well. but my problem is that after installing the kit when the truck is running it strobes 3 or 4 times and then shuts off even with the harness, and my fog lights for some reason wouldnt turn on. i put the halogens back in for the times being and the fogs work fine.. any help is appreciated thanks
The harness and relay provide power.

The resistors keep it from strobing and keep the Lamp Out light off.

You say you connected the harness but not the resistors. Well...... There's your problem.

Why are you guys so determined to use half the parts that are known and proven to make it work and then post problems?

You do not need a harness for the fogs. First things first...... Test your ballast and bulbs. Connect the bulbs to the ballast and the ballast directly to a good power source such as a battery or charger. I'm sure they will work and if they do then you don't not have them connected correctly in truck.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 AM
southpaw84

Originally Posted by weedahoe
The harness and relay provide power.

The resistors keep it from strobing and keep the Lamp Out light off.

You say you connected the harness but not the resistors. Well...... There's your problem.

Why are you guys so determined to use half the parts that are known and proven to make it work and then post problems?

You do not need a harness for the fogs. First things first...... Test your ballast and bulbs. Connect the bulbs to the ballast and the ballast directly to a good power source such as a battery or charger. I'm sure they will work and if they do then you don't not have them connected correctly in truck.
I ordered the resistors and am waiting for them to come in, I know I need them but figured I'd do most of the install and could live with the light out code for a few days. In the first post about the hid problems it says the harness takes care of the strobing, and the resistors get rid of the code. well thats why I thought there was a problem because the harness was installed. anyways, the problem with the foglights is that i didnt install the hid kit on the fogs yet, i was going to install them after the headlights if there was no problems, so the factory fogs where not working

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Gotcha. I thought you were saying you connected the HIDs in the fogs and they were not working at all. Well, once you get the resistors in and connected, you should be all done. Enjoy your new lights!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM
jacoblong44

i had my 2011 ram in the shop today for new headlights and HIDs to be installed. i tried to install the HIDs myself and they would only come on when i hit the unlock button. when i turned the truck on either one would come on or neither of them. so i took it to the shop that i got them from to install them. they said that the newer dodges automatically shut them off and wont let them work?? he said he called the dealer to see if there was a way around it and they said no. Can HIDs really not be installed in new rams???

Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Jessejames28432@yahoo.com
Exclamation

Hello everyone, new here but was wondering on some insight on to get 35 watt or the 55 watt HID kit. This will be my 1st set ever and it's going on 2004 dodge Ram 1500 quad cab(9007 plugins). I was told by coworker to get the 55watt from DDMtuning.com. Comes with the relay harness and I have already got a set of resistor harnesses on watch on ebay. I have looked over this thread many times but don't really see anyone posting wattage. Any help will be great n thanks n advance. Also thanks to the guys like Weed n Dogg for taking time to answer our Q's!! Awesome people!!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by jacoblong44
i had my 2011 ram in the shop today for new headlights and HIDs to be installed. i tried to install the HIDs myself and they would only come on when i hit the unlock button. when i turned the truck on either one would come on or neither of them. so i took it to the shop that i got them from to install them. they said that the newer dodges automatically shut them off and wont let them work?? he said he called the dealer to see if there was a way around it and they said no. Can HIDs really not be installed in new rams???
Of course they can be installed. You just need to get educated (see first page) or find a shop that knows how to do more than sell parts.

Originally Posted by Jessejames28432@yahoo.com
Hello everyone, new here but was wondering on some insight on to get 35 watt or the 55 watt HID kit. This will be my 1st set ever and it's going on 2004 dodge Ram 1500 quad cab(9007 plugins). I was told by coworker to get the 55watt from DDMtuning.com. Comes with the relay harness and I have already got a set of resistor harnesses on watch on ebay. I have looked over this thread many times but don't really see anyone posting wattage. Any help will be great n thanks n advance. Also thanks to the guys like Weed n Dogg for taking time to answer our Q's!! Awesome people!!
The wattage on the ballasts/bulbs is output. This has nothing to do with needing load resistors to trick the PCM into thinking there are still filament type bulbs in place when using HID bulbs. There are some higher priced "CANBUS" ballasts that are supposed to "not" need load resistors but I cannot vouch for them as I have never used them.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM
prican2000

Originally Posted by weedahoe
The wattage on the ballasts/bulbs is output. This has nothing to do with needing load resistors to trick the PCM into thinking there are still filament type bulbs in place when using HID bulbs. There are some higher priced "CANBUS" ballasts that are supposed to "not" need load resistors but I cannot vouch for them as I have never used them.

well I actually read thru this entire thread and did my homework so I thought then ordered a set of Xentec 6,000K hid kit plus I also got a set of H13 9008 HID Conversion Kit Error Free w/ Load Resistor Wiring Harness Adapter and I went to install them, started with the Passenger side - installed everything - checked it before reinstalling and it seemed to work, then I moved over to the Drivers side - same thing checked everything before reinstalling and it all seemed to be working just fine UNTIL I went to turn the truck on. See when I was testing them the truck was off - i just turned the headlight switch on. but when I turned the truck on the HIDs came on then they just shut off and would not come back on. I checked all the wiring and ensured that everything was plugged in and got nothing - what could it be because I am completely lost.

THANKS in advance for your help.

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...