3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Compartment Cleanup

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Phatboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compartment Cleanup

What's the best method of cleaning up the engine compartment? I have had my truck for a little over a year now and it is getting a bit dusty/dirty under the hood. I would like to get that 'new' look back but I dont want to put too much stuff on there that might ruin belts/hoses and so forth. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Charlie

Old 06-09-2005, 05:18 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine Compartment Cleanup

I always start with a cool engine. You never want to do this to a hot engine! Aways avoid electrical areas and electic components (eg. computers, power relay centers, etc).

1. Spray cleaner of choice liberally (I use Simple-Green) on the area you want to be cleaned. If there is a lot of grease, mud, dirt, etc, I take a bristle brush and scrub it. While you're at I usually make sure the radiator, A/C condenser, tranny cooler are clean and clear of bugs.

2. Allow to work for 5 minutes or so.

3. Hose off with water. Don't use a high pressure source as tempting as it may be. You run the risk of infiltrating electric components. You'd probably be okay, but why risk it?

4. Repeat as necessary to dirty areas.

5. Allow to dry or you can start it up and allow the engine heat to dry it. Your belt may squeek at start up, but this is b/c of the water.

6. After it is dry and cool I usually check out components for fraying, wear, leaks, etc. When satisfactory apply rubber dressing of choice. Some say not to use silicon, some say it is ok. I usually use a Meguiar's product. Don't apply product to belt or pullies.

7. Wipe off excess.

8. Admire beauty.

The type of dressing is critical. I try to use something that doesn't attract dirt. I've had good luck with Meguiar's products. I've found that some stuff such as Armor-All and others will attract dirt to the "cleaned" parts and you'll be cleaning the engine compartment more often. I usually try to clean it every time I wax the car. Kind of like a Clean-A-Thon.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Hemi_Chris
Professional

I think steam cleaning is the best after spraying a little diluted Simple Green on the really dirty parts, like the underside of the hood.

You can usually find a steam hose at those drive-in do it yourself car wash places. I think carefully using a pressure washer would be okay, too, but you want to be careful around the plugs, intake, etc. Steam is better because it's obviously much lower pressure.

Any parts that might get rusty like you hose clamps can be lightly coated with some WD40 to displace any water, if desired.

The key is to be gentle and to make sure everything is dried afterwords. Nothing beats elbow grease!

Old 06-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Avanti
Captain

We always used steam cleaning when I was a kid working in dealerships, "plastic bagging" anything we didn't want wet. It works the best and leaves things clean enough for touch-up/detail painting, if necessary or desired.

However, if your truck is only a year old, any spray-on engine cleaner used as directed should be fine.

All the best.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:02 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I forgot about steam cleaning! I thought the question was directed at someone with some spare time in the driveway, y'know trying to keep from doing other honey-doos.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, Yes, The Honey Do's----"Honey, if think you're gonna do the truck before my car---
Tell me you haven't been there!!

Old 06-09-2005, 08:47 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

Ah, Yes, The Honey Do's----"Honey, if think you're gonna do the truck before my car---
Tell me you haven't been there!!
Yes Sir! Officially for 2yrs and 2 days.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:53 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually just use a mixture of water and super clean in equal parts, spray it on a cold engine. Let stand for 5 minutes and spray of with the garden hose. Always works good for me, but I don't let it get real dirt.

If it's f'in nasty, steam cleaning is the way to go.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:58 PM
SRSchermerhorn

The best results for me is BBQ grill cleaner. That's what it's made for; removing baked on grease and dirt. And only a couple bucks per spray bottle. Use it very liberally on a cool engine and let it work for a few minutes. Then just rinse off with your hose. My wife's engine compartment was filthy after this past winter, so I also used my pop's pressure washer. Like new! Beautiful!

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Cleanup