3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Friend thinks Chevy is just as fast as HEMI!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 AM
rambob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friend thinks Chevy is just as fast as HEMI!

I'd be willing to bet that a 5.3 1/2 ton 2wd chevy extended cab or reg cab with the 3.73 rear will hand a stock hemi 1/2 ton his ***. Chevy trucks have shi__y build quality but are quite a bit lighter and that 5.3 v8 is strong! I know a lot of you hemi guys are going to say you beat some chevy some where, but you put a set of sticky tires on both trucks at the strip, both trucks bone stock no tricks and the Ram will get it's *** kicked, especially if it has the 20" wheels.
Another thing. I love my Dodge truck. It's the second one I've owned. But I bought a Dodge this time because I couldn't make a deal on a Ford. Thats because Ford won't deal because they don't have to, they build the best trucks build quality wise period. If I had to be in a head on in any american made street vehicle, it would be a Ford truck first' then a Dodge.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:23 AM
ross944
Veteran

my mom drives the 5.3 texas edition.... hauls a$$. its got some serious get up for the truck. so far only one recall for something with the steering. no problems yet jsut regular maintenance. i dunno about your ford statement there buddy, my dad swears on his life he will never look at a ford again because of how ****ty the ones he has owned have been.

i revoke my statement on the 5.3 beating a hemi to it would be a very good race.[sm=burnout.gif][sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Avanti
Captain

There is more to it than hp numbers, rather obvious to those of us who race... It involves hp, torque curve, weight, gearing, traction, and type of racing (for example "fast" means something very different at the drag strip than for Land Speed Racing). All of these must be taken into account.

You can break any laws you want on the race track/course, except the laws of physics. Sorry.[X(]

Old 06-16-2005, 06:22 PM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

I agree with you Avanti. All of those factors are to be weighed into place for overall track time, not just HP. I have driven Chevy 5.3 ext cab 4x4's for many years (most recent a 295hp version). I will agree that they have some get up and go. I wont knock it there, however my quad cab 4x4 hemi willstomp it like a bug. I dont see another 20hp changing that sice it isnt a close call at 295 hp. I know this from the drivers seat, not some sideline wannabe. I will agree that Chevy has probably the worst build quality out of any truck, well maybe not Nissan. I think that, that is where more of my anger toward Chevy stems from, along with some of the owners that think its the greatest thing since sliced bread when in reality they are a POS. Some of you may have Chevys and say that they never have had a problem, and good for you. I have driven them for years for work (always new) and every one of them had the same gloomy life of consistently falling apart and in the shop. I think the thing that aggrivates me most is that most Chevy owners (and Nissan Titan owners) all brag about how reliable they are, but when the truth be told, they have been to the service department many tmes. After being on Forum sites for all brands, I have noticed this to be for many of them. Now, before I get any hate mail, I am sure that there are some of you out there that own them and say you are not like that. Good for you. I am simply giving my opinion on my experiences like this great country gives me the right to.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:31 PM
ross944
Veteran

everyones entitled to their opinion....mine: hemi wont stomp the 5.3...i think it would be a good race if both are stock. and im no sideline wannabe since ive driven both vehicles. as far as quality....our chevys have treated us great so far with the 19 years theyve been in our family. experiences will lead us to different conclusions, as for my family...they are GM and Mopar owners for life for the luck weve had with our vehicles.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:46 AM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

hey ross, I see in your sig that you have a 4.7. Have you ever driven a HEMI? I see that you said that you have driven both vehicles but, you are in referance to HEMI, right? If you are I cant believe that you would think a 5.3 comprable cab, driveline, and gear ration would be a close race. I am not going to try and say that the HEMI is the most superior motor but cmon, it whales over a 5.3. I mean, I have to assume that you are used to either the 285 or 295 hp version with 330 lb ft of torque. Uhhh, the hemi, 345hp and 375 on torque. I know that peak hp anfd torque dont always represent the overall perspective of drag times, but it will take alot of help in the weight and gear rations to get it to compete.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Randy_W
Professional

ORIGINAL: HEMI_OFF_ROAD

Where I got my info on the 2wd 1/2 ton 6.0 is from the 2 sitting on the lot at the local GMC dealer, both ext cab short bed with 3.73 gears. They are identical to the magazine test truck that ran 14.7!
Please show me where on Chevys website that this is even an option? I just talked to my friend that still sells Chevy and said that if there is, then it isnt being offered from them. Maybe a specialty vendor. The only possible thought is that there is a 1500HD 2 wd with the 6.0, but that is a 300hp standard output (a dog at that, my friend has one). I will talk **** about Chevy trucks as much as I want. The Chevy Silverado is a small production specially designed muscle truck. What kind of muscle truck is it if a stock regular production truck is running almost identical times. If you want to compare it to what it should be comapred to then look at a Lightning and SRT 10. Either truck will spank the ss, so now people need to compare the SS to stock regular production Dodges? Not much of a muscle truck to me.

GVWR, lb 6400 6550
Where are you coming up with the Chevy being 500lbs heavier?
Try reading the curb weight,
Curb weight, lb 5300 4800
Last I checked, that's 500 lbs.!
Oh, I didn't start comparing the SS to the Hemi, it was in the first post of this thread!
Hate what yiu want, love what you want. I like my Ram very much, but I've liked the GM trucks I've owned also. I've owned 5 Dodge trucks, well actually 6 if you count the '79 I kept for a week, but my GM trucks didn't instantly become ****, because I had a different brand.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:01 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

I'm tired of chevy owners always bragging. The Hemi can almost whip the silverado ss while the ss starts at around 40,000 the ram starts at 22,000. The hemi is a $795 option[:@]

Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 PM
rambob
Rookie

I've never dirven a hemi. but I have driven a 5.3 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd and I stick by what I said. I don't believe the Hemi will out run it stock straight up. It's just too heavy. Anyway Chevy's are still sh_t.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:14 AM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

I've never dirven a hemi. but I have driven a 5.3 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd and I stick by what I said. I don't believe the Hemi will out run it stock straight up. It's just too heavy. Anyway Chevy's are still sh_t.
I guess that I dont understand at how people that have never driven these different trucks can make that call. I agree on Chevy trucks being pure ****. For me I have personally been behind the wheel of a Silverado SS for hundreds of miles. I never once said that it couldnt beet my HEMI, I said that in the Chevy lineup it would take one to give me a race. My biggest point is, the hemi in a given equel cab, gear ratio combo will beat a Chevy. The answer is YES. Do I think that the SS is the weakest most sorry excuse for a flagship all out muscle truck, YES. It will get a hardcore smokin compared to a lightning or SRT 10. I have driven many Chevy trucks for years. I will probably never actually buy one because of my experiences with them.

but my GM trucks didn't instantly become ****, because I had a different brand.
No, they were built that way from day one. I never tried to get people that had Chevys to agree to them being ****. The origination of this post was acceleration. I wont try and tell you that Dodge trucks arent **** either. My verdict is still out on that. This is my first major experience with a Dodge product. So far no regrets, but I only have 3000 miles on it. I can make statements on Chevys becaue I have a very large history with them, all bad by the way. Even selling them I had bad luck. Selling new trucks and then seeing them back in the service bay a few weeks later with some very angry customers. Dont get me wrong, I am not going to say that Dodge or even Ford for that matter are without fault. However I can say that I have had 5 Ford trucks and all were very very good trucks that took a beating without fault, the last one being even more of a true champion (it saw some extreme torture of hardcore off roading/rock crawling and never broke a thing). I can tell you of the brand new Chevy trucks that I have driven that have seen the tow truck as well. I know that we all have our own seperate experinces that lead us to differnt conclusions. I am not asking anyone here to now think that because I said so, all chevy trucks are pure ****. I am just expessing my opinion as so given me the right to like many others here on this site.

Quick Reply: Friend thinks Chevy is just as fast as HEMI!