3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lower control arm snapped when pressing in ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:00 AM
bri1978m
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower control arm snapped when pressing in ball joint

Guys,

I've read on this forum for years now and this is my first ever post (I need help!).

I decided to venture into replacing my upper/lower ball joints on my 2008 1500 4x4. Uppers control arm was cake to do. Then I moved onto the lower ball joint and got it pressed out with no problems. I then started to press in a Moog K7467 ball joint into my lower control arm. It's about 3 cm from being finished and "BANG"... WTF was that... a crack within my lower control arm next to the ball joint (started to scream a few choice merry x-mas words!).

Obviously I can't drive the truck and need to get a new lower control arm ASAP. Does anyone know any part numbers or places to get them for a good price. I was trying to save 850 by replacing my ball joints myself but now I'm worse off.

I found mevotech has one but it says it's for the V6 model? (could that be true)?

http://partsonline.mevotech.com/Show...spx?pn=MS25149

Merry Christmas!
Brian =)

Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I found THIS
It says the Mevotech is for All Engines. maybe you just seleced v6 or something?
You'll need an alignment done with new balljoints anyways, so it's not like your too far set back buying an oddball control arm. Well oddball being not OEM like the other side is what I mean.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

did u lube the balljoints before u pressed them?

Old 12-25-2010, 02:08 AM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May need to go to dealer or local pick and pull. I don't think anyone sells lower arms.
I would think even without lube it shouldn't have cracked. Have a pic?

Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 AM
bri1978m

Yeah, I applied lube to the ball joints and control arm before pressing them in. Just crazy as I never saw this coming as I was only a couple cm away from being done.

I ended up forking out 345 for a complete new one (included ball joint/bushings installed). Got lucky that a local dealer had it in stock. The list was 460 but I told the local dealer what the price was on dodgeparts.com and they matched. I got home an smacked my head as I forgot to pickup a ball joint nut as the other one is trashed. I assumed the moog nut would match it but it's definitely a big nut then the oem. Guess I'll have to wait until Monday to get that.

Thanks for everyones help and have an awesome Christmas!

Brian =)

Old 12-25-2010, 10:40 AM
theory29zane

i know you probly need the truck asap but local parts store should have one and then if you can wait a day or two rockauto.com is a great place for parts on most things cant anybody touch their prices also some local parts stores should price match them as long as the warranty is the same. sucks sorry to hear that i know mine are coming soon too wish ya luck on getting it back together.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:12 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I could only find the UPPER at Rockauto.com and most other places. Best I could see online to get the lower was the $345 the OP found at Dodgeparts.com for the whole assembly... I'da pick 'n pulled it myself and popped a new ball joint and bushing in the thing and called it a day... I would chalk it up to a bad original (or you don't know your own strength). I've never seen one break when pressing the ball joint in. But then again, I ain't a mechanic by trade...

Old 12-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

its pretty much equal in cost depending on what u need. if u do the individual work the parts are cheap and the labor is expensive. if you do a new control arm the parts are expensive but the labor is low.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by moparmutt
May need to go to dealer or local pick and pull. I don't think anyone sells lower arms.
Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I could only find the UPPER at Rockauto.com and most other places. Best I could see online to get the lower was the $345 the OP found at Dodgeparts.com for the whole assembly
If you follow the link I gave above and enter in the vehicle info, the lower control arm with balljoint is $120. Not sure why the link no worky, but if OP had to get his truck fixed, gotta do whathca gotta do ya know! Not everyone has the luxury of waiting for online parts, BUT, they are out there for those that were unsure.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:54 PM
bri1978m

Yeah, i'm in a pickle for time as i've got two toddlers to handle so moving down to one car family for a week would kill the wife.

I did order everything online. Cheapest place that I found moog ball joints and upper control arms was at autopartsexpress.com. They beat rockautos price and included free shipping ( ups ).

Just a curious question. Do you think I can pick up a new ball joint nut from a local hardware store or should I just wait till monday and get one from dodge?

Last edited by bri1978m; 12-25-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Lower control arm snapped when pressing in ball joint