3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recommended air pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a set of 35x12.5x16 Mickey Thompson MTXs on my 2nd Gen, "D" tire with max pressure on the sidewall of 50 psi. Ran them at 40 psi except when off-road conditions dictated them to be aired down. I traded the truck with 68k on the tires and still had usable life on them.

Current tires are 35x12.5x17 Dick Cepek FCIIs also a "D" tire with max of 50 psi, I run them at the same 40 psi. With about 32k on them they are just beginning to show a little wear and with the exception of the tire that was sitting on a bad tie rod end that is worn just a little off, they are very even.

Now these are high end (expensive) tires and most report a longer than average life with them, but still, for a pretty aggressive A/T and an A/T - M/T hybrid, this kind of longevity is excellent.

MAYBE with an "E" tire I might come down a bit off the 75% mark to soften the ride a little as an "E" tire can be a bit harsh, but I wouldn't come down a whole lot.

Again, let the 75-80% be a starting point and adjust for ride comfort, even wear and fuel economy from that point...

Originally Posted by Blacksport
Hmmm...so 35psi is pretty low if my max is 80psi? So if you take 75%, I should be in the 60psi range? That would explain some of my MPG loss!!
As I stated, an "E" tire is a stiff sidewalled tire, if you bring it all the way up from 35 psi to 60 you'll probably feel like your truck just became a 1 ton. I'd go to 50 psi and see what that does for you. Then adjust from there. If you find better fuel economy (and you should) and the ride ain't bad, then try 60 psi...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-30-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommended air pressure?