3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How difficult is a tune-up to perform?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 AM
homer_simps1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult is a tune-up to perform?

OK. I really don't have any knowledge of mechanics, but I'm fairly bright (my mom used to tell me) and I was wondering if a tune-up is that difficult. I have done oil changes on my previous car (01' Mustang) and I was contemplating doing an oil change and a tune-upski for my beloved Hemi.

Can someone provide step-by-step instructions or should I just say "F' it" and bring it to a mechanic?

How hard could it be?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Truckin_Tom
Professional
Default RE: How difficult is a tune-up to perform?

I would suggest letting the pro's handle it.. The cost of having them do it versus what you'd save doing it yourself is a small price to pay knowing it'll be done right..

Old 06-19-2005, 11:22 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're familiar with doing this sort of thing, I would have to agree with Truckin_Tom on this one. As well, it's not really required until around 30K miles.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:39 AM
spinfreak
Professional

You know, I've been wondering the same thing. I've done my own tune-ups on my previous vehicles. However, I've never worked on an engine that has 2 plugs per cylinder. That wouldn't be that bad, but when I was looking the engine over, I don't even see where the freaking plugs are at. What would be the easiest way to get at them? I'm fast approaching the 30K mile mark, so I'm gonna have to do it soon. I've only ever taken my vehicles to a mechanic for major work. I really don't want to start taking it for minor things like tune-ups now. Hell, back when I was still in high school, I was going to buy a new Mustang (1996), but it would have been impossible to do any engine work since the engine compartment was crammed worse than a can of sardines, but at least you could see the damn plugs.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:56 AM
IrishRagE

Replace the plugs (16 in total) just like any other vehicle. Once thats complete go ahead and replace the wires (ask autozone or the like for the correct set). Once thats done, replace the air, fuel filters for good measure. whalaa.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:29 AM
homer_simps1

Thanks Truckin and Mopar.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:56 PM
spinfreak
Professional

ORIGINAL: IrishRagE

Replace the plugs (16 in total) just like any other vehicle. Once thats complete go ahead and replace the wires (ask autozone or the like for the correct set). Once thats done, replace the air, fuel filters for good measure. whalaa.
That's what I normally do, but I still don't know where the plugs are...LOL

Old 06-20-2005, 08:11 PM
DonG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: spinfreak

ORIGINAL: IrishRagE

That's what I normally do, but I still don't know where the plugs are...LOL
They are right next to each other. One is under the coil pack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12354/3B17F865D8C04C17A1488A2334B00151.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-21-2005, 02:10 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Yep, gotta unbolt the coil packs. It looks to be a PITA. I'm only at 6K miles, but I'm already dreading the 30K mile service.

Homer, if you're mechanically inclined it won't be hard, just time consuming. The plugs are cheap unless you go with platinum or iridium tipped ones. I would also consider the following.

1. Change engine oil
2. Change tranny fluid and ADJUST the bands
3. Change diff fluid back and front if applicable.
4. Change plugs and wires. Use good wires, not some el cheapo set. You'll eliminate many headaches later on.
5. Change air filter.
6. Change PCV valve
7. Lubricate all hinges and other similar stuff.
8. Change wipers
9. Wash and wax

This is what I plan on doing for my 30K mile service. I might think of more stuff to do later, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head. I plan on taking a weekend to care for my baby. Some might consider my excessive, but hey, I am a nut when it comes to preventative maintenance.

As far as I know there is no accessible fuel filter as it is in the tank. Mr. Moderator, how about a page for diagrams such as the above and others I've seen such as the INfinity wiring diagram and such?

Quick Reply: How difficult is a tune-up to perform?