3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newb. with a 2004 RAM . Hitch question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005 | 12:54 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Newb. with a 2004 RAM . Hitch question

It took longer for them to butcher up the welding job then it took me to bolt up my Mopar hitch. Crazy I tell ya, that's just crazy. However, I have seem some really ugly welds hold together nice and strong for a long time with no issues whatsoever. I wonder if that is a grade 8 bolt?

Old 06-28-2005 | 05:23 PM
DonG
Veteran

Locked-up - I think I know what happened. That receiver looks like the Mopar accessory receiver, not the factory receiver. With the mopar accessory you have to use fish a bolt through the inside of the round tube and out the hole to the left of where you see the bolt welded. The Mopar kit comes with a special wire fish this bolt through the tube. I'll bet the person who tried it lost the bolt in the tube or broke the fish wire and said screw it and welded it instead. I have the Mopar accessory receiver and it was kind of nerve wracking to fish the bolt through the tube, but it worked fine.

Old 06-28-2005 | 05:54 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Yeah, the fish wire seemed a bit flimsy and was a little disconcerning, however, I had no problems with mine and I tugged on it pretty good.

Old 06-28-2005 | 10:09 PM
locked up
Professional

So that is a tranny cooler in mine then?

I'm not really as pissed about needing a new hitch as I am having to waste the time dropping the thing off to get it done if I decide to complain to the stealership....[:@]

Old 06-29-2005 | 12:57 AM
Deviousin10tions
Professional

I too have the Tranny cooler and the towing package, tow/hual mode and the wiring harnes on my 04 but no hitch I thought that was strange about a year ago glad to see I'm not the only one.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78...s/PICT0188.jpg

Old 06-30-2005 | 02:49 PM
vert306
|

just bought the mopar receiver, any tips on fishing the bolt in there? damn this looks like it's gonna be fun.....

Old 06-30-2005 | 02:56 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

No problem. Insert the corkscrew end through the hole where the bolt finally goes through until it comes out the side of the bumper tube. Place the corkscrew part through the backerplate part and then screw the bolt as far as you can into the corkscrew and pull through. Really easy. Also, don't cut the plastic bumper piece. Look up underneath and pop the tabs back out so you can gain enough access to the upper bolts without having to cut the plastic.

Old 06-30-2005 | 03:03 PM
vert306
|

pics? guess i am not quite sure of the explanation

Old 06-30-2005 | 03:20 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I've already done mine. Here is a more thorough explaination.

1. See the plastic bumper piece covering the bumper? It is just snapped into place. Look underneath and you will see the black plastic snaps. Just squeeze them with pliers and push up and they will pop out to gain access under the black plastic. I just unsnapped the step part. I lifted the plastic up. Don't worry, you won't mess it up. I pulled up on it pretty hard to fit the torque wrench under it. When finished, just snap back down. Just finger tighten the bolts for now.
2. Now that you have the top two bolts done, now it is time to crawl underneath. You will see where the bolts are supposed to come through the bumper tube and through the hitch. Take the corkscrew end of the fish wire and stick it through the mounting holes in the hitch. Don't worry, it is long enough to have excess to where you can pull it back through. Fish it towards the outside of the truck. You will see it come out of the tube. Now place the backing plate the mounting bolt together. Now screw the bolt onto the fishwire as far as you can. When that is done, slide the bolt/backer plate/fishwire back into the bumper tube. Pull the fishwire back through the mounting holes for the hitch. Put the nut on finger tight and do the other side.
3. Tighten with a torque wrench to spec. I did 1/2 spec all the way around and then went full spec after first initial tightening.
4. If you have problems, let us know.

Old 06-30-2005 | 03:23 PM
vert306
|

thanks... i didn't see the fish wire at first, didn't know what you meant about corkscrew, got it now

Quick Reply: Newb. with a 2004 RAM . Hitch question