3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torn CV boot

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we got the CV axle removed, unfortunately, we pulled the axle out of the differential. This is the on the passenger side. I have no idea what this part is called. Is it the intermediate shaft? Anyone have a parts diagram?

The axle is still trying to be separated from that shaft (which may be easier now that it's no longer attached to the truck, I don't know). If we can't get it separated (or without damage to it), then I'm hoping that sell that piece by itself.

Last edited by LinerJoe; 03-30-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you bought it new and it has the lifetime powertrain warranty, boots are covered

Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 AM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Originally Posted by lxman1
If you bought it new and it has the lifetime powertrain warranty, boots are covered
I'm sure the leveling kit would have nipped that one in the bud.

joe

Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

i replaced my boot on my axle last year. i tore it off at the mud bogs and it was so seized on to the wheel bearing and the shaft coming out of the diff it took forever to get off i used a couple cans of liquid wrench kept soaking them through out the day and you could see the rust just pouring out as i a soaked it down finally on day 3 using a goose neck to pry by the diff and a hammer to hit the axle it broke free. changed the boot put it all back to gether greased the splines cause i knew it would be coming apart again. lasted almost a year before the boot came off again and the cv joint was starting to click when turning or hitting a bump so put on a brand new axle came apart much easier second time around. took me half our from start to finish including greasing the truck.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

I picked up a new seal and lock rings and clips today. Hopefully it will go together smoothly tomorrow.

joe

Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Ok, the new CV axle is in and working. The CV was completely rusted to the shaft, and it was a lot work to get it removed (and an acetylene torch).

We got it all put back together this morning, and seems to run fine, except it whines badly. It almost sounds like rubber to me, but the boots definitely aren't rubbing. We're thinking that perhaps it's the bearing in the differential, and the pulling with the slide hammer may have screwed it up. It was free moving when we checked it, but we didn't replace it.

I'm going to drive it for awhile and see if the noise goes away (like maybe some more gear oil moving through it will quiet it down). If not, I guess we'll have to tear it apart again, although hopefully this time it would go much more smoothly!

joe

Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sure it's not the hub bearing? Both of mine have failed by 45K miles.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

No, I don't know that it's not the hub bearing. While trying to listen to it, it sounds like it's coming from the differential, not the hub, but it's very difficult to tell.

The differential bearing is a lot cheaper than a new hub.

Is there a good way to tell if the hub is failing?

joe

Old 04-03-2011, 05:15 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Mine sounded like it was coming from the rear too. I figured my clutch clips had come out and reeked havok. I have a 2wd so it was easier to hear them by jacking up the front end and spinning the wheels by hand. One side was smooth, the other was a but noisy and not as smooth. (They use the same hubs. Mine are even splined for axles.)

Old 04-09-2011, 12:00 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Just an update..... the squeaking stopped! It was probably the suspected differential bearing, which after getting enough gear lube stopped squeaking. It was making the noise on Monday, and on Tuesday, it had stopped. Everything seems to be working great. So who knows.... the squeaking might come back, or perhaps it is really gone!

joe

Quick Reply: Torn CV boot