3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bed removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM
mr_blove
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed removal

Who has done it?
How hard was it?
How do you do it?

I need to get to my fuel tank more specificly fuel pump/filter assy and was wondering if it would be easier to unbolt the bed and slide it to the side rather than dropping a FULL tank.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 AM
kccisco

ok iv been ther and don that no more than a month ago... take the bed off its a hundred times easier but i had 2 other people helping me. the bed is only held on by 6 bolts, 2 bolts by the cab and 4 by the bumper. 1 person at the tailgate and 2 people at either side of the box at the cab and lift. plus if u take the box off u can change the pump and still test the pump to make sure the truk runs rather than fight the tank bak into place only to find that a cable came undone

Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Matt99
Champion

yea if I were you and had a lift or even a tree, I would use a comalong and undo the 6 bolts and lift it strait up. Its pretty light.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Dont forget about the ground strap, fuel fill lines and the electrical wires for the tail lights.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 PM
mr_blove

Thanks for the info, any idea on where the bonding strap is or wiring harness for the taillights?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Matt99
Champion

ground strap is on passenger front between the cab and bed. I think that side

Wiring harness is on the driver side behind bumper I think

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM
JRMRam
Amateur

a lot of times, you dont have to take the bed all the way off. sometimes you can just slide it back and tilt it back. rest the bottom of the bed(the section in front of your rear tires) on the tires and you will have room to get in there. saves some back muscle

Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Dont forget about the ground strap, fuel fill lines and the electrical wires for the tail lights.
a little more complicated than just the 6 bolts!!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

why not just siphon the gas out of the tank and lower the tank empty?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM
kccisco

heres the thing, if u siphon the fuel then u hav the chance of spilling some gas (no reason wasting perfectly good go juice), if u pull the tank then ull spend som time geting the fuel out then u must climb underneath and unbolt the tank and try to support the tank on top of urself. wen u remove the tank u must lower the tank a few inchs then try and squeeze ur hands betwween the tank and the frame to remove the fuel lines or risk braking them. Plus u cant test the pump wen its siting on the ground with no fuel (if u put fuel bak into the tank wile its on the ground to test then siphon it again to put it bak in the truck well ur just a dumbass wasting time) dont know about you but id kill someone if i spent all that time and here the pump has a factory defect

with removing the bed u hav the 6 bolts, then remove the fuel fill hose which is three screws inside of the fill cover (easy to get at, i think it was a 8 or 10mm wrench) then u have a single ground wire that is on the passenger side that is connected to the bed and the cab (if u cant see this ur just blind because it hangs down a little) that requires a 10mm wrench. now for the lights i could not personaly find the cable disconnect, was told it was by the cab but if u look at the lines they wrap around the frame. so i set to remove the taillights in whole from the bed (2 or 3 screws each on the inside of ur bed were the tailgate latchs), then just lift and seperate

Quick Reply: Bed removal