3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking Rear Window Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Rear Window Seal?

So it finally started raining here in CO, and I noticed today on my back seat there was water droplets. I thought for a minute and realized I hadn't open my rear doors at all today. So I stare at the droplet and notice there is a water trail on my seat (in the suede center) and I follow it up to the top of the seat. Low and behold I see where the water has been hitting from what I thought was the ceiling. So as I'm driving down the road and accelerating, I am trying to stare at the ceiling and seat. I only saw a quick drop. Finally I get out and inspect and I don't really feel any wetness on the ceiling. I start scanning and feeling the window and it seems to be the culprit. I rubbed in the corner and felt water. As soon as I moved by finger, I saw a trickle again start forming. I know dodges leak from the 3rd brake light, but that usually ends up in passenger floor. What could this issue be coming from?

Yes it has a leak on both ends of the back seat. Umm..I have a sunroof, and my rear window slides open manually. Not sure what else to give ya...I thought about using some clear caulking or even RTV but that would just "hide" the problem. Could the back window be leaking from the top seal? I just washed my truck this weekend and noticed no water inside. If the sunroof channels are backed up, where does this water go? Thanks...

Dang, I also meant for this to be in the general discussion board..My Bad

Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Get a buddy to soak the truck with a hose while you're inside lookin for a leak.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The prime spot where leaks develop in 3rd Gens is around the 3rd Brake light from there it gets inside the rear window frame and appears to be a window leak. Seen dealers completely take out the rear window, put all new moulding in and then silicone the **** out of it and still not fix the problem.

Remove the 3rd Brake light and seal it up good with silicone and replace the light, my guess is you'll solve the leak problem...

Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure the drain tubes or channels in the rubber seals on the doors and sunroof are not clogged also

Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 PM
truegent81
Captain

How would I check these drain channels in the do

Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 PM
truegent81
Captain

How would I check these drain channels in the doOr and sunroof? It finally is gonna be nice tomorrow morning sO I'll remove third light then. Got some pics of the water leaking, I'll Post in a few. Hopefully it might help n

ok im on my laptop now..here they are

Name:  033.jpg
Views: 3107
Size:  160.2 KB

Name:  032.jpg
Views: 2571
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  031.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  93.6 KB

Last edited by truegent81; 05-13-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
truegent81
Captain

the 3rd pic shows the water leaking down...well it looked like that on the driver side corner. i tried feeling the headliner, but it never got wet. even on the underside of the headliner, no wetness...wth?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm still thinking the 3rd Brake Light is the culprit, seen it more than a few times, it runs down until it hits the rear window frame and from there can run all the way to the sides and down. Not saying it isn't the window, but most times it's the 3rd Brake Light.

Besides, it's a 20 min. job and a $3 tube of silicone to seal it up, even if it isn't the problem it's not like you invested a lot in ruling it out...

Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Matt99
Champion

looks like a third brake light issue to me too. I did it to mine after my back seat was covered in water. cheap easy fix

although, dodge does have a tsb for a leaky rear manual window.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Gen II did this - took me a while to figure out what it was, but the fix was easy enough: silicone the assembly and use a hair dryer and sunlight on the carpet.

The Ram I have now has not done this and I've swapped out the CHMSL for a LED unit.

Quick Reply: Leaking Rear Window Seal?