3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-Fan and now AC and Rear ABS Sensor is gone....help? lol

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Veibz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Fan and now AC and Rear ABS Sensor is gone....help? lol

I did the E-fan mod 2 weeks ago with the Ford fan. At the time, I just plugged it into one of the open relay slots and it would come on when I turn the key on (just for times sakes). Today, I went to hook the probe up and once it went to kick in... it turned off and now all hell has broken loose.

My AC clutch isn't getting no power and my abs light came back on... I started to pull relay's and brought out the ever so famous alligator clip test light. There is power at the AC relay port. ...I plugged in the relay... There is power at the fuse. I plug in the fuse... NO power to the AC clutch connection. What the hell? I am CERTAIN the same is going on with the ABS sensor as my speedo quit working and the abs light is now on.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Really weird. Guess I am driving around without AC & a speedo till I figure it out.

Any thoughts or suggestions would really kick A$$! Anyway to reset computer? Is there any other kind of fuse that could have gone that is not in the fuse box? Thanks guys!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's the one reason I don't like the pick 'n pull fans from Fords, I dunno about the van fan, but the damn Taurus & Lincoln ones pull a TON of amps, especially at startup.

All pre-TIPM Rams should have a secondary fuse panel on the drivers' side of the dash, open the door and look at the side of the dash, should see a little trap door. Check those fuses...

Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's why you should use a fan controller and power that relay straight from the battery for the fan motor and the coil side from a keyed circuit. You may have fried a trace in that very expensive fuse box, worst case scenario.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm running a fan controller (the one supplied with the Flex-a-Lite, but I'm plugged straight into an open relay circuit too, with a 30A inline fuse. I originally used a 40A relay to the battery, but I kinda didn't like the fan staying on after I shut the truck off, I found myself hanging around the truck to make sure it shut off, LOL. So I moved it to a keyed relay slot.
Been running like this since '05 with no problems yet...

Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Veibz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I am going to check the in-dash fuse box. I am praying that is where the problem is lol. It actually makes since given what it is symptoms.

The ford fan really is a good fit. Very few modifications had to be made so I am happy with it. I did do the brand new fan as I get them so cheap anyways. I "think" there is a little more pep at the higher RPM's too!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:49 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I run the relay control voltage from a key on source with the 12V fan source fused straigh off of the battery. This way it won't run without the key on because the relay coil 12V is keyed before the temp sensor.

Quick Reply: E-Fan and now AC and Rear ABS Sensor is gone....help? lol