3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gasoline leaking in exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
NIGHT_47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline leaking in exhaust

04 Dodge Ram1500, check engine light is on. I have gas dripping from my exhaust. I know it's gas because i let some drip in a small can & put fire to it. It burned. Please help.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

First, before anything else, please read this. Welcome to DF!

I will move this to the 3rd gen section for you.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site. Im sorry but I fail to believe you have fuel getting pumped out of the exhaust pipe(s). Even IF that was the case they means you are either dumping WAY too much fuel in the combustion chambers, you are not burning all of it off and your cats have failed and are ruined.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 PM
NIGHT_47

Something is wrong here. Sorry to hear that you do'nt believe me but that what it is. Its smoke is white, when I crank it it will drip gas. the filter & fuel pressure regulator is on top of gas tank. yes you are correct it dumping alot of gas. #1 plug has gasoline on it when i took it out.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Maybe I came off too strong and for that I apologize. Its not that it is not physically possible because it is but it is SO unlikely and rare. Like I said, in order to pump even LIQUID fuel out the exh pipes you have to pretty much flooding it and burning NONE of it. Injectors spray a mist of atomized fuel. They do not flow streams or jets of fuel like carbs did.

If you are smoking white when you crank it and having liquid dripping from the tail pipes then at the least you have is excessive condensation and at the most you have is a blown head gasket or cracked/warped heads.

When did you run it hot and how hot did you run it? Is this a 4.7 or 5.7.

4.7's are more known for getting hot and blowing head gaskets.

My thought is you have a blown head gasket, are leaking coolant in the chambers which in turn is mixing with the fuel getting sprayed in there and all of it is getting pumped out the tail pipe

Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
NIGHT_47

SEVERAL months ago for a very short period, but not too much in the red. when i was driving it the check engine light came on, but no smoke just running rough. lost 1/2 tank of gas for 37 miles.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Have you pulled the codes on the CEL? If so please post them. If not, please go get them and post them

Which engine do you have?

White smoke is a positive indication of leaking and burning coolant

Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first, Ithought it might be seriously leaking injectors, but I'm guessing you may have a coolant leak, cool cylinders to float the gas into the exhaust stream.

Seriously---a very strange issue.

You may want to do a compression test/leak down test on each cylinder. My guess would be a cracked seat/head.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 PM
NIGHT_47

ok I have the codes that AutoZone did for me. P0201,P0300,P0301.
I pulled all 8 spark plugs, #1 was soaked wet.
The engine is a 4.7L

Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You may have an injector driver in the pcm stuck on. I have seen this in two different vehicles. It just powers the injector wide open and wash fuel thru the engine and exhaust.
Try unplugging the #1 injector and running it for a bit to see if it clears up. It will miss and probably throw an injector code. (the 2 I fixed did not have a code for the injector driver fault) they smoked white and reeked of gas until it finally burned out of the converters. You need a noid light to check the injector plug to see it it lights up bright white or flickers with the injector pulses as it should.

Was it soaked with fuel or antifreeze?

Quick Reply: Gasoline leaking in exhaust