3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mirror Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Shippy1985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror Blinkers

I bought a set of mirror blinker lights from Auto Zone for my 2005 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi 1500 Laramie Quad Cab, I integrated them into the mirrors and ran the wiring out of the mirror and into the truck. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get them to work with the blinker switch. I tried wiring them into the trailer light harness at the rear of the truck, the only bad part with that is that they act as brake lights when I do that, along with functioning as blinkers. I don't really like that.

How would I go about wiring these blinker mirror lights into the truck so that they just blink, and do not act as brake lights?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can try to tap directly into the parking lights since you have an '05. Proper way is to use a relay and tie into the parking lights for the signal but if they are LED's they prob draw less current than a relay anyways.
FAQ section has manuals for color-coded wire diagrams. Just gotta download them.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to tie into the front turn signal wires. Then you eliminate the brake light signal.
On the 05, you can also tap into the turn signal wire going to the light housing, since the brake light and turn signal go to separate bulbs from 02-06.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Shippy1985

Which wires are they (colors)? I assume they just go into a plug, so how do I know for sure which wire is for the turn signal? Thanks again for the info! I spent a lot of time with wiring through the mirror and the door, so I just want to see them work! lol

Old 07-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Geezir
Veteran

Pull the plug off the back of the headlight housing and grab a test light.

If my truck wasn't in the shop right now I'd go outside and check for you. Had to t-tap mine for my snowplow so I'd be able to tell at a glance.

PS..have any pictures of the lights you are using?

Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shippy1985
Which wires are they (colors)? I assume they just go into a plug, so how do I know for sure which wire is for the turn signal? Thanks again for the info! I spent a lot of time with wiring through the mirror and the door, so I just want to see them work! lol
Originally Posted by dirtydog
You can try to tap directly into the parking lights since you have an '05. Proper way is to use a relay and tie into the parking lights for the signal but if they are LED's they prob draw less current than a relay anyways.
FAQ section has manuals for color-coded wire diagrams. Just gotta download them.
As stated OR unplug the bulb as stated. So easy a caveman can do it!..haha You'll figure it out, just take some time.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Shippy1985

Ok Thanks everyone! I'm going to go see what I can get done right now and let you know the outcome. Also, I will try and get some pictures for you Geezir.

Thanks again!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A test light is your friend

Quick Reply: Mirror Blinkers