3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 AM
gordie580
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning

So last week here was like 92 and i was dieing in the vehicle. I went and checked the temp and it waslike 51 degree's comming from the vent.

So i decided to add some freon after Italked to the dealer the other day about how when i stop moving the air warms up a bit. he said might be a tad bit low on freon. So I went to walmart got some 134a and a gauge. I hooked up the gauge and noticed it was about 45PSI and Dodge recommends 25-35 pressure on low side. So i added approx half of an 18oz can and the gauge still reads about 42-43.
Any Idea's why that gauge is still that high shouldn't it have dropped some after adding 4-5oz of freon.
I don't want to over fill, anyone ever add your own freon? or any recommendations?????

Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 AM
nussdawg395
Veteran

Check to make sure your condensor fan is spinning. It's an electric fan that has been known to go out in these trucks.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2......if your AC blows cold while your driving at highway speeds, then check your AC fan.
It's the small fan, behind the small AC condenser radiator on the drivers side.
When your AC is switched to on, this must be running strongly 100% of the time.
Al.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM
gordie580
Professional

The electric fan runs...

Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 PM
abarmby
Champion

Hmmmm....got me stumped bud??

Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

No, the more you put in it, the higher the pressure will go. I think you have a blend door problem and the air is not all going thru the evaporator. The pressure will drop to where it should be if you rev the engine a little.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

so just to clarify, the condenser fan motor spins when the ac is on and the tuck is parked and idling right?

Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 AM
gordie580
Professional

Yes, the vehicle is in park, and idleing for atleast 3-5 min with the gauge attached. The fan does spin, the correct direction now... Driving down the road it will freeze a person out. but when idleing it was 52.2-53.6 degress in the vent on the drivers side middle. The manual said it should be colder. it also stated pressure should be between 25-35 PSI on the low side. mine was about 45 psi. I added 134A freon and the pressure gauge stayed still. after i put approx 3oz of freon. the air seems cooler, but i didn't get out the therm to test. But the pressure is still up there when it should have been about 10lbs less.
Also to eliminate a question the HVAC/ AC radiator was washed out the other day of all the bugs and other debre in there.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:44 AM
Smokeyramz

Gordie I had the same problem a month ago, I had two problems 1 ac condenser fan was out, and I had a loose hose. I found the loose house fixed it, and replaced a bad fuse. Ac condenser fan is working and system is working right. Also to my understanding there is two ports for the freon 1 is for filling and one for emptying. did you plug the freon into the right port ? (please dont take offense could happen to any one).

Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 AM
abarmby
Champion

From my experience, the AC condenser fan can be intermittent.
Also the fan can be running but, it doesn't have much pull/torque to it.
The fan should be pulling air through the radiator like a hurricane. The flow should be really strong.
These fans use electrical brushes, which wear out over time.
This causes the fan to either stall or not pull a lot of air.
Put your hand around the back of the AC Condenser rad where the fan is. Get someone to swith the AC on while the engine is running and you should see a fast start up and stong spinning of the AC fan, with airflow that would blow a bag out of your hand if you weren't gripping onto it....that kind of air flow lol.
I wasn't getting any of that on my 03 and my fan was shot.
Also, after you stop using the AC on the highway where it works fine, when you come to a stop......do you hear lots of hissing and grumbling type sounds from the front passenger side glove box/foot well area?
I was getting those sounds, along with the AC retun lines that run along the front crossmember in the engine bay being red hot to touch.
There are two metal lines that run east/west along the front crossmember and kick up into the passenger side airbox area. These lines should have droplets of water/condensation on them and be ice cold to touch, if the AC system is OK.
The loud hissing and grumbling were I'm reliably told, the low and high sides of the AC equalising. Due to the lack of cooling from my fan not spinning correctly, I had high temps in my low side which increased my low side pressures like you have, which caused these problems/symptoms for me.
Hope you can understand all this and some of it helps?
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 09-03-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning