3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Its gonna cost how much??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:58 PM
zencyl
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its gonna cost how much??

So today i decided it was finally time for a new set of rubber. The rear tires looked like Nascar tires and the fronts were starting to separate from the tread. Anyone I went to Discount and got some new tires, but they don't do alignment. The guy at Discount said go to Midias, ok whatever. Dropped the truck off at Midias and said I needed the front alignment done. An hour later I get a call, tie rods, 4 ball joints, bushings(?), and some other stuff. He said basically the front end was junk is what is sounds like. Anyway total bill was $2000. I told him to put it back together and park it, I was coming to get it. They are just trying to nickel and dime me right? Truck drives straight, only a small pull to the left. Should I be worried about it?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if the front end is worn. Depending on the mileage on the truck.
I like the Sears center here locally. They are honest and do good alignments.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't trust Midas to work on a go kart, let alone any of my vehicles.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM
sbsga
Professional

I just did ball joints and tie rods on mine. I ordered all the parts from rock auto for a combined cost of 260 with express shipping. Then borrowed the ball joint kit from a local advance auto. Took me 3 hours and then had an alignment done. So even when they do go bad I would say $2000 is a bit on the high end of things. If you are handy at all with a wrench its not a difficult job.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Look on Ebay for a bundled front end rebuild package, or find a place that sells an entire kit and do it yourself! There are plenty of how-to's on here and on other sites. You can rent tools for free from Advance Auto and Autozone, but you'll need to leave a deposit(which you'll get back). Tools suck as BJ splitters, coil spring clamps...etc

Save yourself the money and learn something while your at it.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's almost three times what it should cost. Midas is a rip-off, has been for years.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:12 PM
zencyl
Professional

Thanks guys for the responses...i was a little shell shocked/pissed when I posted that. I would love to do it myself but I won't have time until the holidays, the front end of this truck won't fall apart in the next month will it?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Jack the front of the truck up and grab the wheels at the top and bottom and see how much they shake, then do the same while holding the wheels at each side. If it feels pretty tight you should be fine for while. Also take a quick look at the ball joints to make sure the boots aren't torn and that the grease isn't leaking out.
Replacing all that stuff your self is a PITA job (depending on your skill level) but it can be done, the parts are cheap, it's the 8 hours of labor that all the shops charge that makes that repair bill sky rocket.

Just try not to put a whole lot of miles on those new tires with a bad alignment.

Oh and when you do order all the new ball joints and tie rod ends, get the ones with grease fittings.
If you've never ordered from rockauto.com and want a 5% discount code let me know.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 AM
dylansav
Amateur

Like Caseys said, go with the tierod/BJs with the grease fittings. They are deftly worth the extra few dimes I've been looking at them for awhile since those are on the top of my list for replacement.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah they at least double the going rate. Midas is known for "finding" problems and gouging on the repairs.
Now I don't doubt that the tie rod ends & ball joints could stand to be done, but it probably isn't a pressing need if you have no driveability issues.
Jack the front end up and tug on the wheels and you'll be able to tell how bad things are...

Quick Reply: Its gonna cost how much??