3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Non transponder key in door lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Bat119
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non transponder key in door lock

I would like to have a spare door lock key cut I have the key with the door buttons and remote start, can I get a normal key cut just to open the or will it set off the security system.

Are all keys transponder for these trucks? there's no mark on the key how do you tell?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an RFID key w/o remote and it sets off the alarm when we unlock the door using the tumbler. The alarm turns off when you turn the key to run in the ignition.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Bat119

Thanks thats what I thought

living in Fort Mac during the winter you know the value of having a door key

Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
We have an RFID key w/o remote and it sets off the alarm when we unlock the door using the tumbler. The alarm turns off when you turn the key to run in the ignition.
Never heard of this. A basic key without a transponder chip inside it WILL NOT set off the alarm.
I have a 2008 and have a key with no chip inside it. It's all I ever used to unlock my door. Never had any issue's.
The transponder chip is ONLY for starting up the ignition. That is where the chip is read. The door does not read the chip.

The Dodge's are the same as GM's, which used to have a plain door key and a chipped ignition key. You can do that for the Ram as well.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

yup,
what dog said

Old 11-19-2011, 08:03 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Never heard of this. A basic key without a transponder chip inside it WILL NOT set off the alarm.
I have a 2008 and have a key with no chip inside it. It's all I ever used to unlock my door. Never had any issue's.
The transponder chip is ONLY for starting up the ignition. That is where the chip is read. The door does not read the chip.

The Dodge's are the same as GM's, which used to have a plain door key and a chipped ignition key. You can do that for the Ram as well.
On my Chrysler and on my Mazda, opening the door after unlocking it with the key sets the alarm off. It only stops if I trigger the fob or put the key in the ignition. Fortunately, my other two vehicles don't have that alarm nonsense.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by dirtydog

My truck came with two keys new, both had the keyless remote. I lost one in short order and went back to the dealer to buy a new one. $160.00 later i had a new spare key and managed to lose it in the first week again. So i went back to the dealer and asked if i could just buy a key that opens the doors for less money. They sold me a key that has no remote on it and opens the doors fine without setting off the alarm. From what the delaer told me, like Dog said, their is no reader in the door for the key, their is a switch though that if you open the door lock with a key it will disable the alarm.

Speaking of spare keys, is their any option for getting spare remote keys without paying over a $100 bucks? The dealer said if you use a non RF key in the ignition and drive away, within a few minutes the truck will automatically shut off and will need to be towed and re-set by a dealer.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Bat119

Yup what dog said

I went to the dealer and bought a non chipped door key $9.62 opens the door like a regular key no alarm.

On Ebay you can buy a chipped key and program it yourself, I have not tried them for a Dodge but they work good in GM

To program you have to have two keys if you don't you have to go to the dealer and have it programed

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/270852958750?...84.m1438.l2649

programing instructions

If you don't have 2 keys you'll need to call a locksmith or the dealership. Before you call the locksmith, make sure you have the four digit PIN code to your vehicle. The dealership has the PIN code and will give it to you for FREE with proof of ownership to the vehicle. The can also give you the key code which is helpful at the same time.
Add a key when you already have two:
1) Insert one the programmed transponder keys into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the switch to the "ON" position
2) The key should be in the "ON" position for 5 seconds but not more than 15 seconds. Turn back to the "OFF" position.
3) Within 10 seconds, insert second programmed transponder key into the ignition and turn to the "ON" position. The VTSS ( Vehicle Theft Security System ) or Immobilizer System lamp (depending on model ) should start to flas. An audible tone will indicate the system has entered the " Programming Mode ".
4) Within 45 seconds, turn the switch to the "OFF" position. Insert the new transponder key and turn the switch to the "ON" position. After approx. 10 seconds and audible tone will sound and indicator lamp will illuminate briefly. This will let you know key has been programmed.
5) To add aditional keys, repeat steps 1 - 4.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Confuzzled. Glad i have a non sentry black key and flip switch blade key as my spare.

Last edited by SLT8; 11-22-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 AM
BradBeyer
Veteran

Originally Posted by NV290
The dealer said if you use a non RF key in the ignition and drive away, within a few minutes the truck will automatically shut off and will need to be towed and re-set by a dealer.
This is not completely true, I have a key that only unlocks the door when I take my boat out (so if it does fall in the water I am not screwed). I had a buddy one time try to start the truck with that key (to bring the truck and trailer down to load the boat) and it started and then died. He came back to the boat about 10 minutes later saying he couldn't get the truck to stay started. I asked what key he was using and he said the key you gave me...I told him that was to only unlock the door...the keys to start the truck are in the truck (in a hiding place :-)). He went back up there and came down with the truck and trailer.

Long story short...I didn't have to take it to the dealer after he tried to start it with the wrong key.

Quick Reply: Non transponder key in door lock