3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

warning on bosch o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Last I bought a Bosch O2 was around 2000 when I needed to replace one on my ex's Grand Cherokee. The Jeep HATED it and when I talked to a buddy who was a mechanic at my Jeep dealership he handed me a Mopar one and said "put this in - ALL chrysler products HATE Bosch sensors". Fixed the problem.

I've never since bought a Bosch. I play golf with the former service manager at the local Dodge dealer here in Florida where I am now and he says they replace Bosch sensors customers have put in their Chrysler product in an attempt to fix an issue themselves on a weekly basis.

Based on that, I would just say buy a different brand sensor if you need one. The Bosch obviously work sometimes for some vehicles as guys in this thread have attested to, but why go thru the hassle if seeing if it will work for you when you can just choose a different one in the first place???

Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Last I bought a Bosch O2 was around 2000 when I needed to replace one on my ex's Grand Cherokee. The Jeep HATED it and when I talked to a buddy who was a mechanic at my Jeep dealership he handed me a Mopar one and said "put this in - ALL chrysler products HATE Bosch sensors". Fixed the problem.

I've never since bought a Bosch. I play golf with the former service manager at the local Dodge dealer here in Florida where I am now and he says they replace Bosch sensors customers have put in their Chrysler product in an attempt to fix an issue themselves on a weekly basis.

Based on that, I would just say buy a different brand sensor if you need one. The Bosch obviously work sometimes for some vehicles as guys in this thread have attested to, but why go thru the hassle if seeing if it will work for you when you can just choose a different one in the first place???
I guess I must be the odd man out then. The 2/2 O2 sensor threw a code in my wife's '02 Jeep GC and I replaced it with a Bosch. That was 2 years ago and have had absolutely no problems or codes since the install.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 PM
nzornes44
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the Bosch o2 that come with the AF gauge wide band. Is this going to cause a mixed reading?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzornes44
How about the Bosch o2 that come with the AF gauge wide band. Is this going to cause a mixed reading?
the Bosch LSU4.2 or 4.9 are the better wideband sensors out there- and have set the industry standard.. they are stand alone from the PCM.. you shouldn't have an issue.

edited to add: there has got to be a reason that the Bosch sensors (four or five wire narrow band) for our rigs are hit and miss.. I think the point is why risk it? most places won't allow a return once the bag they're packed in is opened.. NTK/NGK rarely have issues, and Densco is likely the best out there- the price on the NTK/NGK's are generally cheaper than Bosch to boot.. It seems like a no brainer to me, and it's also a good thing that we can share these things on a board like this to keep from wasting $$ when repairing/replacing stuff.. It's nothing against Bosch, it's just a notable trend.. ya know?

Last edited by drewactual; 01-17-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM
nzornes44
Amateur

Originally Posted by drewactual
the Bosch LSU4.2 or 4.9 are the better wideband sensors out there- and have set the industry standard.. they are stand alone from the PCM.. you shouldn't have an issue.

edited to add: there has got to be a reason that the Bosch sensors (four or five wire narrow band) for our rigs are hit and miss.. I think the point is why risk it? most places won't allow a return once the bag they're packed in is opened.. NTK/NGK rarely have issues, and Densco is likely the best out there- the price on the NTK/NGK's are generally cheaper than Bosch to boot.. It seems like a no brainer to me, and it's also a good thing that we can share these things on a board like this to keep from wasting $$ when repairing/replacing stuff.. It's nothing against Bosch, it's just a notable trend.. ya know?
Well put. And thanks.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:39 PM
James Rodriguez
Default Same issue...

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango and i keep getting this o2 sensor code. I replaced it twice with Bosch and this last time it was good for a day and then code popped back up. I’m now going to pick up a o2 sensor from Denso and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

I had the same problem. It was only one side, so I swapped it with the other side... still complained about the same side. So then I figured out the wiring and tested it for continuity (with a test lamp, because DMMs don't use much current and can make a compromised wire look good). Continuity was there, so only one more choice - the computer. Sure enough, swapped in a new one - no more complaining.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 08-12-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 PM
James Rodriguez
Default Just changed out Bosch o2

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I had the same problem. It was only one side, so I swapped it with the other side... still complained about the same side. So then I figured out the wiring and tested it for continuity (with a test lamp, because DMMs don't use much current and can make a compromised wire look good). Continuity was there, so only one more choice - the computer. Sure enough, swapped in a new one - no more complaining.
Ok so I had to get rid of that Bosch o2 sensor bank1 sensor 1. I swapped it out with another brand and drive it around for 15 mins and so far so good. No CEL and it already is running better. I will be driving to downtown Houston in a minute and will be back tomorrow morning. Will let y’all know if the light is still off.
I hope so. I have read allot of reviews about Bosch not doing well with Chrysler. I do see some saying they never had a issue with them as well. But I would say half and half. I really hope this solves my problem because I just can’t spend any more money on this Durango . But I will see by the end of the night.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:12 PM
ddmcsr
Default NTK sensors are garbage!!

Originally Posted by jorgysram
so first off had a dip**** mechanic put the wiring back in the wrong spot after a transmision rebuild... end result melted plug on my passenger side o2 sensor hookup, started to trow a code after awhile, fixed wiring replaced the o2 sensor from the denso i had to a bosch code came back, thought hey could be out of balance reading due to old upstream sensor so back to parts store, all they had was bosch so i got 2 because i didnt want to run different sensors on different sides of the truck. cleared codes and off i go, 30 miles later threw 2 more codes, the only o2 sensor not throwing a code is the old denso on the driverside downstream 3 new bosch 3 codes, couldnt get ahold of densos any time soon so i have oem ngk, or ntk as they call their o2 sensors coming in tomorrow, but i will throw this out to anyone who cares. DO NOT PUT A BOSCH O2 SENSOR IN A CHRYSLER, SPEND THE EXTRA 20 BUCKS AND GET A DENSO OR OEM NTK
Your wrong on that, NTK garbage

Old 04-07-2023, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by ddmcsr
Your wrong on that, NTK garbage
NTK and Denso are OEM sensors on the dodges. The bosch fellers just don't work worth squat. I've used NTK on both trucks and they work perfectly fine, so, you will have to excuse me if I call BS on your statement here.

Quick Reply: warning on bosch o2 sensors