3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

warning on bosch o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
jorgysram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warning on bosch o2 sensors

so first off had a dip**** mechanic put the wiring back in the wrong spot after a transmision rebuild... end result melted plug on my passenger side o2 sensor hookup, started to trow a code after awhile, fixed wiring replaced the o2 sensor from the denso i had to a bosch code came back, thought hey could be out of balance reading due to old upstream sensor so back to parts store, all they had was bosch so i got 2 because i didnt want to run different sensors on different sides of the truck. cleared codes and off i go, 30 miles later threw 2 more codes, the only o2 sensor not throwing a code is the old denso on the driverside downstream 3 new bosch 3 codes, couldnt get ahold of densos any time soon so i have oem ngk, or ntk as they call their o2 sensors coming in tomorrow, but i will throw this out to anyone who cares. DO NOT PUT A BOSCH O2 SENSOR IN A CHRYSLER, SPEND THE EXTRA 20 BUCKS AND GET A DENSO OR OEM NTK

Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

I've seen this mentioned a few times around here. When I did my engine swap, I had codes from a brand new bosch O2 sensor. For the longest time I thought I had something funny with the wiring. Used a different sensor and code was gone

Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

I have bosch o2 sensors installed no codes here. Perhaps bad lot.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLimitzR1
I have bosch o2 sensors installed no codes here. Perhaps bad lot.
nah... you're just one of the lucky ones..

it's a documented thing.. Bosch, o2's specifically, are no good for dodge rigs..

i read why once, but i can't put it all back together- it had something to do with the reading latency.. it was too slow, or the algorithm was at a different pace.. or they were slow to respond.. it had something to do with that..

when you think about it, a o2 sensor is just a stupid device.. it samples air inside of the exhaust, and compares it to air outside of the exhaust.. the difference is measured in voltage, and literally in the center of the thing where the protected filament lives.... it's not like it has circuitry of it's own.. you would think it wouldn't matter one bit, but time and time again Bosch gets bashed on a dodge.. go figure, huh?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 PM
gordie580
Professional

I am going to find a dummy O2 sensor and put in there so I no longer have to worry about them damn things

Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my dual exhaust installed 7 years ago I replaced the stock O2 sensors with 4 BFN Bosch sensors. That was 6 years ago and they've never thrown a code and are still working perfectly today. Some people have had problems with them but that has not been my experience.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
When I had my dual exhaust installed 7 years ago I replaced the stock O2 sensors with 4 BFN Bosch sensors. That was 6 years ago and they've never thrown a code and are still working perfectly today. Some people have had problems with them but that has not been my experience.
i hear ya bro.. it's definitely a hit and miss thing..

the funny thing about o2 sensors that a lot of folks don't know (and I just learned a month or so ago when i went off on a tangent studying them) is that the outside ports are just as important as the obvious port that is on the bitter end..

yeah, that seems unrelated to this topic, but:

if the outside is fouled, the sensor is hopeless to give an accurate reading.. it relies on BOTH ports to be functioning within spec's.. it relies on the difference in ambient air compared to exhaust to figure the difference in lambda. when the outside is coated, the difference is marginal (read: within expected specs), and it won't kick a code at all.. it thinks its doing a great job..

those parameters are the crux of it all.. they don't fluctuate at all? the PCM knows something is amiss.. they fluctuate wildly? PCM calls it out.. they hold within expectations? the PCM adds or pulls fuel.. the downwind sensor, it is in play too- it tattles on the upwind sensor.. call it Mopar Redundancy..

point being, the PCM may never toss a code, and the sensor could be whacked.. it would never know..

installing a wideband a/f, along with obdii software where you can observe o2 'cross counts' will tell you real quick if those o2's are doing what they are supposed to be doing.. otherwise, you'd hafta inspect plugs, or stick a finger in a tailpipe (ooh, doesn't that sound like fun?) to see how that engine is managing fuel...

all that said- some folks never have an issue w/ Bosch.. it's a weird thing.. I wonder if altitude has anything to do with it?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewactual
i hear ya bro.. it's definitely a hit and miss thing..

the funny thing about o2 sensors that a lot of folks don't know (and I just learned a month or so ago when i went off on a tangent studying them) is that the outside ports are just as important as the obvious port that is on the bitter end..

yeah, that seems unrelated to this topic, but:

if the outside is fouled, the sensor is hopeless to give an accurate reading.. it relies on BOTH ports to be functioning within spec's.. it relies on the difference in ambient air compared to exhaust to figure the difference in lambda. when the outside is coated, the difference is marginal (read: within expected specs), and it won't kick a code at all.. it thinks its doing a great job..

those parameters are the crux of it all.. they don't fluctuate at all? the PCM knows something is amiss.. they fluctuate wildly? PCM calls it out.. they hold within expectations? the PCM adds or pulls fuel.. the downwind sensor, it is in play too- it tattles on the upwind sensor.. call it Mopar Redundancy..

point being, the PCM may never toss a code, and the sensor could be whacked.. it would never know..

installing a wideband a/f, along with obdii software where you can observe o2 'cross counts' will tell you real quick if those o2's are doing what they are supposed to be doing.. otherwise, you'd hafta inspect plugs, or stick a finger in a tailpipe (ooh, doesn't that sound like fun?) to see how that engine is managing fuel...

all that said- some folks never have an issue w/ Bosch.. it's a weird thing.. I wonder if altitude has anything to do with it?
Funny you should bring up the 'finger in the tail pipe' trick. My Daddy taught me that trick when I just a small boy. Black soot on the finger tip meant the engine was running too rich needed to back off the air adjusting screw just a tick. That no longer applies for today's computer controlled engines but I STILL do the 'finger in the tail pipe' thing.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I also replaced all 4 of my O2s with Bosch from Autozone priced at $25 each and have no CELs. To each their own.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:09 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Yep, i found the same is true on one of my toyotas. Denso is the oem provider for yotas and i had an o2 throwing sporadic codes. The advance store doesnt carry denso and tried to sell me a bosch one for $172. I found a denso online for $62 shipped and have not had any codes since.

This is coming from a guy (me) who works for the parent company of bosch. They make some god power tools and appliances but i wont use their o2's.

Quick Reply: warning on bosch o2 sensors