3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pirefyro
KasperR34, out of curiosity, why modify your setup to use twin turnbuckles?
Sorry I never saw this post. I did it for strength, having one on each side it much stronger, especially since I have a body lift. When there was just one, my friend was seeing it bend slightly, that was alleviated with the double.

As for the measurement, I can't help you there, but you see where my stock linkage was placed on my tailgate, you can measure from those 2 points on your tailgate. It will get you very close.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:02 PM
patooyee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I ended up just doing what you did. Cost of parts was up to $26. Damn inflation! I had to get the 10.5" turnbuckle, I guess maybe because of my transmission being an NV5600? Even it was barely long enough.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:12 PM
AJFire

I just did this using exactly each part listed by pirefyro from Lowe's. The total came out to $12.42. Great instructions for someone who is not a exactly mechanically inclined. I still had my linkage so I matched the turnbuckle to the same length. It installed in about 20 minutes and part of the time was spent going in and out of the house to get the right wrench size. Thanks pirefyro for the easy to follow instructions and great DIY fix.

Anyways, after applying the fix, I can get my truck into 4H but can't get it shifted into 4L or N. Do I need to loosen the turnbuckle or do I have something else going on?

Nevermind, I can shift to 4H on the fly but have to have it in neutral to go to 4L or N. Pays to read the manual.

Last edited by AJFire; 11-16-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: correction/update
Old 02-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Drew_Migs
Default Works!!!

Originally Posted by pirefyro
Back in November of 2011, while I was in the process of changing my oil, I discovered the shift linkage between the lever and my transfer case on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 had fallen off. Upon looking into it, I found the dealership fix would be $40 for parts and I can install them myself. Since the grommets wore out once, I am sure they would do so in the future. Not wanting to do this again, I began looking for a permanent fix. In searching the internet, I came to dodgeforums.com and found many threads with the same issue. I found a fix by one of the users on this site, but it involved shaping a piece of steel to fit, so it was put on the back burner until I found someone with the tools to shape the metal or found a different fix. Today, 01/14/2012, I found a way to fix it and with parts all from Lowes. I am including the part numbers I used, as well as a diagram of how they are arranged when installed and a picture of the completed instalation. The price listed for the parts are for the total. Total time to install might be around 30 minutes tops.

Tools needed:
A 3/4" box end wrench, a 3/4" socket, a ratchet, and a short extension for the ratchet.

Parts & Lowes Item number:
(2) Hex Bolts 1/2" x 2" (( 63329) These are loose in a tray. $1.08)
(4) Flat Washers 1/2" (( 63309) These are loose in a tray. $0.80)
(2) Hillman 1/2 x 5/8 x 1 Steel Spacer - Zinc ((880419 or 137142) These are in one of the blue drawers at Lowes under specialty hardware. They come
1/bag. $3.02)
(1) HM 5/8" SAE Flat Washers (( 25602) These are in a little red bag and come 2/bag. $0.98)
(4) HM 5/8" Helical Lock Washers (( 63412) These are loose in a tray. $1.12)
(2) Hex Lock Nuts 1/2" (( 63406) These are loose in a tray. $0.98)
(1) 3/8" x 10-1/2" Turnbuckle - Zinc (( 22233) These are loose in a box on the same aisle as the door ***** in the back half of the aisle on the right
from the front of the store. $3.27)

Parts Total: $11.25 (This value doesn't reflect the price with tax because I had to make a few trips inside to swap parts out before getting it right.)

Since the turnbuckle can be adjusted, I won't tell you what length to set it at. Just adjust it as needed. I put everything together before crawling under my truck. Then it was a simple matter of unscrewing the lock nut and then pulling washers off, threading the bolt & spacer through the hole in the transfer case connection, then putting the washers back on the bolt and hand tightening the lock nut. Then I repeated the same procedure on the shift lever, but flipped the direction the bolt is facing. This must be done so that you can shift into 4 low. Running the bolts facing the same direction results in clearance issues with the transfer case housing. After both ends were connected, I got in my truck and checked to make sure the linkage was working right & it was, so I crawled abck under my truck and tightened the nuts & bolts with hand tools and that was that. While talking with one of the people working the hardware department, he advised me that the steel might pull the threads from the aluminum turnbuckle. While that might be a possibility, I don't forsee a problem with this, but I will check and see how it is holding up in a month.

I do hope this works for you. If not, it is at least a starting point.
This fix works great!! Awesome post bro!

Old 02-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Frank Rundus
Default The Heim Joint Option

Originally Posted by Kalten
Would it not have made a better installation to use Heim joints to make the linkage? that way you could tighten it down all the way and even place a rubber boot over it to keep moisture out, may cost a bit more though. It is a good fix either way.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-joint-rod-ends/=ijvhrf
I too ran into this problem on my 06 Power Wagon but as I do some hard wheeling, I wanted a more robust option. On Amazon, I found a set of 1/2 inch Heim rod ends from QSC (one LH theads and one RH threads) for $22 as well as a 12" length of 1" OD (0.87" ID) .065" wall DOM tubing for $6. Distance from the shifter to the transfer case was 9.25 inches so I only needed 4" of the DOM with the half of the rod ends' threads showing.

I also went with a bronze bushing versus the steel spacer. Lowe's has this as well in the blue drawers. I only bought one and used a Dremel to cut one 0.3" piece for the shifter and a 0.2" piece for the transfer case. I felt the multiple lock washers were a bit of overkill so I went with the nylon nuts and some blue Loctite should the nylon degrade over time.

Once I had the rod end inserts welded up and the scale sanded off, I hit it with some self-etching primer and some Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating to ward off the rust demon. I put some anti-seize on the rod end threads when I assembled it for the final time.

When I installed it in the truck, I used the combo flat washer, heim joint, flat washer, bushing, flat washer then nylon nut. The rod ends came with jam nuts so I adjusted everything then tightened them up. JOB DONE!

Last edited by Frank Rundus; 03-12-2017 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Updated pictures
Old 08-17-2017, 08:39 AM
rhlanham
Amateur

Just discovered both this issue with my 2004, and this post with an awesome fix!! Thanks so much!! I plan to do this as soon as I can,

Reid

Old 08-31-2017, 12:32 AM
christopherk
Smile Worked PERFECTLY for Me!

Thanks so much, pirefyro, for posting this! When it rains, it pours! My sons moved my vehicles after Hurricane Harvey dumped on College Station so that their friends could park at our house for an engagement party and, as a result, I had 5 vehicles stuck in the mud. However, as I arrived home and attempted to switch my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 into 4x4 mode, both of the transfer case lever grommets broke and the lever fell to the ground with my truck stuck in neutral! I briefly tried to force the transfer case lever into 2H, but with no success. I saw your post, printed out the parts list, and used the one and only vehicle on my property that could move (my visiting Aunt's car) to drive to Lowes. I purchased all of the parts and assembled it in the store to ensure I had everything. Worked like a charm and I pulled out all 5 vehicles! Thanks!

Some helpful tips:
  • Use the Lowes app to lookup the Part# to get the exact aisle and section for each part!
  • In case it helps, I've included some photos of the parts in the store (the steel spacer is now apparently in a RED drawer)

Qty Part# Part
1 22233 3/8" x 10-1/2" Turnbuckle - Zinc
1 25602 HM 5/8" SAE Flat Washers
4 63309 Flat Washers 1/2"
2 63329 Hex Bolts 1/2" x 2"
2 63406 Hex Stop Nuts 1/2"
4 63412 HM 5/8" Split Lock Washers
2 880419 or 137142 Hillman 1/2 x 5/8 x 1 Steel Spacer - Zinc

Thanks again! Sturdier than ever -- and under $12!

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.-22233_turnbuckle_zinc_0.5x0.625x1-custom-.jpg   Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.-25602_flat_washers_0.625-custom-.jpg   Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.-63309_flat_washers_0.5-custom-.jpg   Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.-63329_hex_bolts_0.5x2-custom-.jpg   Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.-63406_hex_stop_nuts_0.5-13-custom-.jpg  

Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.-63412_split_lock_washers_0.625-custom-.jpg   Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.-880419_steel_spacer_0.5x0.625x1_red_specialty_washers_drawer-custom-.jpg   Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.-880419_steel_spacer_0.5x0.625x1-custom-.jpg  
Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 PM
chucknc
Amateur

GENIUS!!! Thanks for the post pyrefiro! Here it is Jan. '18, 2018 and you're info is spot on. Didn't know I had a problem until we got 5 1/2 " of snow. Took your shopping list to Lowe's, found everything easily. Less than $12 for parts, $20 for girl scout cookies on the way out. While I'm pretty handy, I'm no mechanic, I'm a photographer. Took me about an hour and half; If I can do it, any of you guys can. Looks to me like it may be better than factory. FWIW, a longer turnbuckle would seem more substantial, gonna stick with what's done

Old 01-21-2018, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by chucknc
GENIUS!!! Thanks for the post pyrefiro! Here it is Jan. '18, 2018 and you're info is spot on. Didn't know I had a problem until we got 5 1/2 " of snow. Took your shopping list to Lowe's, found everything easily. Less than $12 for parts, $20 for girl scout cookies on the way out. While I'm pretty handy, I'm no mechanic, I'm a photographer. Took me about an hour and half; If I can do it, any of you guys can. Looks to me like it may be better than factory. FWIW, a longer turnbuckle would seem more substantial, gonna stick with what's done
Now that one cracked me up. But, only because I am oh-so-familiar with that exercise.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Dortizjr1

Feb 21st of 2018, thanks for keeping this info and thread alive. I bought a 03 Dodge Ram 1500 and wondered why 4x4 shifting wasn’t working. Luckily my linkage was still hanging under the truck by a mostly rotted bushing. This diy fix is perfect. No experience with car work...took me 20 minutes to implement.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Shift Arm fell off? If so, this might help you.