3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does this mean my truck is pre-wired for Fog Lamps? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
IamFrank
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does this mean my truck is pre-wired for Fog Lamps? (Pics)

I have an 06 Ram 2500 SLT that did not come with fog lamps. I have found a full kit on eBay for $147 shipped that includes the lamps, bezels, harness, and switch but this will only work for trucks prewired for fog lamps. I know I am looking for a wire hanging on the driver side frame rail with a red lock clip on it but I found more than one and want to be sure one of these is it before I drop the cash on the kit.

Are one of these the wire that indicates my truck is pre-wired for fog lamps?

This one?
Name:  IMG-20120206-00222.jpg
Views: 5266
Size:  106.3 KB

Or maybe this one?
Name:  IMG-20120206-00223.jpg
Views: 11151
Size:  123.2 KB

I imagine someone whose truck came with factory fog lamps could probably go out and snap a photo of the wires directly connected to the back of there fog lamps attached to the bumper and it would probably answer my question.

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the 2nd pic is what you plug into with your new wiring harness
that should be a short 6" wire w/a pigtail that will run down the front bumper to the passenger side fog.
Easy peasie lemon sqeezie.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Did you check behind the fog light holes for an oval two-pin connector? A lot of the trucks (especially SLT) without the fog lights are still wired all the way to where the bulb would go. You will, however, need to get the fog light option turned on in the computer before they will light up with the headlight switch.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
IamFrank
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparPaul
Yeah the 2nd pic is what you plug into with your new wiring harness
Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
You will, however, need to get the fog light option turned on in the computer before they will light up with the headlight switch.
Thanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and order it. I hear that it is a 50/50 chance that my computer needs to be reprogramed so here's hoping I don't!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

If your truck did not come from the factory with fog lights installed, there is a 100% chance you will need to have the option enabled by a dealer's StarScan tool.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Mine did not come with factory fogs. bought the kits from the dealer 1hr later fog lights. Did not have to reprogram pcm.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
If your truck did not come from the factory with fog lights installed, there is a 100% chance you will need to have the option enabled by a dealer's StarScan tool.
Didn't have to go to the dealer when I put mine in.. Guess i'm just one of the lucky ones.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by p38251
Mine did not come with factory fogs. bought the kits from the dealer 1hr later fog lights. Did not have to reprogram pcm.
Originally Posted by CreativeOffroad
Didn't have to go to the dealer when I put mine in.. Guess i'm just one of the lucky ones.

Both of you have 2005-prior models. I'm pretty certain it's only for the 2006+ tipm controlled years. There is no provision to control the fogs in the older models. It's circuitry within the tipm that needs to be activated.

OP, please post back and let us know how you made out.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Both of you have 2005-prior models. I'm pretty certain it's only for the 2006+ tipm controlled years. There is no provision to control the fogs in the older models. It's circuitry within the tipm that needs to be activated.
Sorry, should have been more specific, I was replying specifically to the OP. You are right, I was referring to the '06+ models. They seem to be pre-wired for almost everything, but adding a component that didn't come from the factory almost always requires it to be enabled in the computer. If I ever find an '09+ leather interior, I'll find out if those heaters are handled by the computer too.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 AM
IamFrank
Professional

Sorry I took forever to reply. I plugged in the factory kit and the fogs worked perfectly. No need to reprogram on my 06 2500 to get them to work. I love plug-n-play!

Quick Reply: Does this mean my truck is pre-wired for Fog Lamps? (Pics)