3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Illegal not to have front plates in TX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 AM
04 Hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illegal not to have front plates in TX?

Just wondering is it illegal not to have the front plate in Texas, because i have seen several cars and trucks without front plates, but i dont know if its legal or not. Any comments would help since no plate gives the truck a meaner looking front.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:37 PM
mag75
Default RE: Illegal not to have front plates in TX?

I believe it is illegal not to have a front license plate if you have a place to put it. Some cars do not have mounting on their front bumpers for license's plates and I think they may be exempt. As for you, to get a ticket you'd have to get a dick for a cop. I have limo tint on my truck all the way around. It is illegal yet I still do it. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make your ram look better, whether legal or not.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:03 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mag75

I believe it is illegal not to have a front license plate if you have a place to put it. Some cars do not have mounting on their front bumpers for license's plates and I think they may be exempt. As for you, to get a ticket you'd have to get a dick for a cop. I have limo tint on my truck all the way around. It is illegal yet I still do it. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make your ram look better, whether legal or not.
Why do something illegal, knowingly? Just curious.

I guess it also depends on the area. I have something like 28% tint which is legal according to the place that did my tint for Florida. Also, it depends on the cop. Some are PITA and others are pretty cool. Most won't bother with the tint unless you're being an *** or if it (not being able to see due to the tint) contributed to an accident.

As far as the plates, why not just call up the local SO and ask? That way you get a definitive answer.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
scox35
Rookie

Call the DMV and ask them. We only have a back plate here in Florida.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:37 PM
mag75

having limo tint is the best investment I have made on my truck. Keeps the truck much much cooler ( I live in houston, humid as hell) and protects theives from looking into my truck. If I get pulled over and they ask me about my tint I am just going to tell them I need it to protect my stereo from getting stolen. If a theif cant see inside then he wont steal what he cant see.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
GeeWillikers
Rookie

Front Texas plates are required, period. I've heard that the law is changing in OCT 2005, but have no proof of it.

It's the responsibility of the driver to choose the means by which to display the plate - either a front mount bracket, front dash, whatever. I know of no car that doesn't have a bracket available to mount a front plate. Auto dealers operating in states requiring front plates should be able to answer this issue - in fact, the car should come prepared to receive the plate before the new owner takes delivery.

As for the rest of it, anyone who knowingly CHOOSES to break the law deserves exactly what they get.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:45 PM
GeeWillikers
Rookie

Unless he decides to just break the window to have a look.

I find the opposite to be true. If a would-be thief can see inside a vehicle and verify that there is nothing in the open to warrant a break-in, they usually move on to the next.

If they can't see in, it's no skin off their a$s to break the window to have a peek. Some do it just to **** the vehicle owner off. Not that I have firsthand knowledge of how a thief thinks..

Old 08-08-2005, 02:56 PM
mag75

well if i didnt have it, they could get a pretty darn good look at my pioneer in dash screen that cost me around 800, and if they break the windom, my alarm will go off.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Hemi_Chris
Professional

A skilled stereo thief will have that thing out in about 20 seconds. If you can't react quick enough to get to it by then, the alarm won't matter.

I agree that the best way to avoid having a stereo stolen is to have it look like you don't have one. Removable faceplates are what I rely on! Also, the large screen models usually retract into the unit, right?

Old 08-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Avanti
Captain

As far as I know, every state that requires two tags considers it illega not to. I've seen many crying about this on other forums when they choose to ignor the law and get ticketed in those states, TX being on the top of the list.

If you decide to play it, you'll pay it--eventually.

Of course, you could always move. Louisiana only has rear tags and half the time they can't figure that out, given the vehicles I see with NO tags!

All the best.

Quick Reply: Illegal not to have front plates in TX?