3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wheel bearing and abs

Old 03-17-2012, 07:27 PM
jif102
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearing and abs

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab with 4 wheel abs. I had to change the front driver side wheel bearing. Advanced auto gave me a driveworks nt515073 hub assembly. After I had everything installed and put but together I went to plug the sensor in. The plug with the hub does not fit the OEM plug. I spliced in the old plug. Now I have the ABS light on all the time. I have pulled the battery connection to try and reset the computer. I still have the light. I also wired back in the old abs sensor and still have the light. Has anyone had this? Is there a way to get the light to go out? I really do not want to buy a new hub and do it all over again.Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
5.7L_REBEL
Amateur

Hmm that's odd...did u happen to get the wrong hub on accident? I'm not a huge pro at this but I had to change my front drivers side wheel bearing about 3 months ago and when I went into the parts store they asked me what year model and whether or not I had 4x4. I never had a problem out of it...fairly easy swap out...the abs plugged right into it...I'd double check and see if maybe you didn't get the wrong part on accident...

Old 03-18-2012, 02:44 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

I have replaced both hubs and the passenger hub twice. I failed state inspection on the passenger side and replaced with the Duralast component and all was well. For a couple months. Then I had a crazy vibration when turning left and I replaced the driver side thinking that was the issue, but I did so with the timken. Issue was still there. It was the one I just replaced. Do not, absolutely, do not buy the cheaper Duralast autozone hub. Mine failed within 4 months. The autozoner argued with me until I placed the relatively new hub on his counter and spun it. It vibrated the mouse for his computer off of the counter top. He then had no issue replacing the hub. Thankfully, autozone gave me the warranty refund and placed it towards the purchase of the Timkens, not that they had a choice.
Please buy the timken hub with the 3 yr warranty vs the duralast with the 1 yr. The quality is evident. Now that both hubs are new, everything is awesome and the truck drives like new.

My drivers front had an abs sensor and the passenger did not, but when I got the passenger hub, I chose to get it with the abs sensor. So I just ziptied the connector to the upper control arm, since there was not a 4 wheel abs option installed on my truck. Through this understanding progress, I asked Dodge what options were installed on my truck. Most 4x4's are only 2 wheeel abs and they are on the back wheels. Doesnt matter for me. Since it is just ziptied and sitting there, but all issues have been corrected with the hub. I even replaced te hub in their parking lot. Haha Sukk it.

I know I may be jerk, but are you sure you have 4 wheel abs. If 2 wheel, then here is your part number for the better Timken bearing from autozone sp500100 and if you have 4 wheel then here is the same number sp500100. I am sure where you got the "driveworks nt515073 hub assembly" and they do not offer any other option. I have always felt that Advanced auto is less advanced than the name implies. PLus they do not have a rewards program and the sales people are idiots. MOE ( my own experience)

Last edited by slakker25rs; 03-18-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM
5.7L_REBEL
Amateur

I'll agree w/ slakker on this one...advance is a joke...I have always used O'Reilly autoparts...not sure if you have one of those in your parts, but I have never had an issue with anything I have bought from them and the parts have always been the O'Reilly brand...I'd go check there if u have one near ya!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheap made in China private label crap will get you every time.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 PM
jif102
Amateur

I have also tried to plug in the old sensor to see if the ABS light would go out. Even using the old sensor it does not go out now. Right now I just want to get the sensor light to go out. all the bearing issues are gone for the time being. I really do not want to spend more money to change the hub again if I don't have too. It was a real pain to change the first one. but I guess everthing should come apart easier now.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Eduardo

Ok what is going with mine i have a 2006 1500 with 5.7l, its not 4x4 its 2wd. i took my front driver side apart well the wheels caliper etc, took of the hub put in a timken brand hub part number SP500100 i go to plug in the sensor and it doesnt fit the plug. Ok so i take it off go back to autozone, that was the last one i get my money back go to another autozone get it anc compared them at the store and same thingh plugs dont match i went to 3 different autozones all had the same connection after that i go to 2 other orreillys different brand and surprise does not match either, so now im stuck i dont know what to do people i need help on this issue please any ideas or suggestions, i was also to check the year it was built and it was built in 05 but its a 2006 so i also asked for a 2005 hub but its the same timken part number.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Xler8er
Rookie

Call a Dodge Dealer give them the last 9 of your vin number.They can pull your truck up and get you the correct part number. Timken is the way to go I dont use any other bearing.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

Yeah Timken, unless you want more practice replacing the failed components

Last edited by slakker25rs; 04-02-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Eduardo

Yea that's what i want a timken but the connections do not match dealership says it won't cause its aftermarket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel bearing and abs