3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

P1129 Code after new O2 sensors installed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P1129 Code after new O2 sensors installed.

102,000 miles on my 06' 5.7 and NEVER had a Check Engine Light (CEL) come on untill tonight.

After replacing all four O2 sensors with the correct Bosch models this afternoon, i drove the less then a mile to my house and parked the truck with no issues or CEL.

I just started the truck about 40 minutes ago to pick something up and the CEL comes on. I pulled the code with the Interceptor and i get:

P1129-CLOSED LOOP FUELING NOT ACHIEVED - BANK 2

I "cleared" the code using the Interceptor but the CEL just stays on and the same code keeps coming up. The truck drives fine though. No hesitation or rough idle.

Could this be a bad O2 sensor? I cannot imagine it being anything else since the truck was fine untill tonight. Thoughts?

Bank 2, would that be the Passenger Side? And which O2 Sensor would it be? Pre Cat or Post Cat? Contemplating simply driving the truck to Auto Zone in the morning where i bought the O2 Sensors and have them plug in their scanner. Or will they only be able to see what i saw, a code?

Option 2 is to simply remove the O2 Sensor that is not working properly and go bring it back and replace it with a new one?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:42 PM
NV290
All Star

I have since taken it on a 4 mile drive. Stopped, shut it off, re started and drove home. Light is still on.

Code still shows up as P1129. But truck behaves 100% completley normal. At idle and even flooring it on the highway. Why would that code show up and the truck seem normal?

With the ability to "Clear" codes using the Interceptor, is their any point in pulling the Negative battery cable for 5 minutes?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You CANNOT use Bosche sensors on a Ram, they throw a code on everyone's truck except Weedahoe's. Dunno why he doesn't throw a CEL when everyone else does with them, LOL.

Seriously, use the Mopar sensors and your CEL will go bye-bye...

Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 PM
NV290
All Star

So i just threw away $100 on O2 sensors? The cheapest place i saw Mopar O2 sensors had them for twice the price i paid for Bosch.

Would pulling the battery cable for 20 minutes help? Or is clearing the code on the Interceptor the same thing?

And if the truck is driving fine with no issues, am i causing any harm driving it untill i get this issue resolved?

Old 03-18-2012, 01:17 AM
slakker25rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.......NV since we have been in the same bucket with this since the get go, I am surprised at this. now fearfull. WTF.

Also how can this really be truthfull. Would Bosch or Dodge not fix this? Im still going to do it with the bosch parts and if I get a CEL, then Bosch will have to answer for it. That is ridiculious.

I believe clearing the codes with the interceptor is the same. Once a code is cleared, it is removed from memory. I would still go to autozone and have them pull it and clear the CEL. Bull**** if you ask me. Where is the due diligence of autozone and Bosch. I hate to say it, but Im glad you did it and we are finding this out.
Checked the other foums and:
http://www.ramforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-39719.html
Seems to be true, well **** what was a 100 dollar gas saver turned into a 200$ cant get my flashpaq because I have to use oem. Sorry guys, love my truck, screw oem. It isnt whether it is better or worse, but the cost is not in proportion with the product. If I was wrong, then we wouldnt be replacing the parts anyways. I am not just referring to o2 sensors.

Hammer, I am surprised that we are now finding out about this, since I posted the o2 question a week ago and posted the PN for the bosch sensors. This sucks.

Last edited by slakker25rs; 03-18-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:53 AM
slakker25rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...0420-code.html

Like being punched in the face for a great effort

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by slakker25rs
Wow.......NV since we have been in the same bucket with this since the get go, I am surprised at this. now fearfull. WTF.

Also how can this really be truthfull. Would Bosch or Dodge not fix this? Im still going to do it with the bosch parts and if I get a CEL, then Bosch will have to answer for it. That is ridiculious.
Just how is Dodge responsible for a 3rd party manufacturer's O2 sensors to where they need to fix it? The Mopar ones (albeit at higher cost) work perfectly.

And just HOW are you going to MAKE Bosch answer for it? I'm curious. I'm sure if a top level Bosch executive happens to see this thread he's gonna start shaking in his shoes... LMAO...

Hammer, I am surprised that we are now finding out about this, since I posted the o2 question a week ago and posted the PN for the bosch sensors. This sucks.
IF you had done about a 30 second SEARCH you would have found 44 threads in this section alone that specifically talk about problems with Bosch O2 sensors in Rams and if you went beyond that and searched back in the 2nd Gen section you'd have found well over 100 threads - which shows how long people have known that Bosch sensors have issues on Rams.

Just one quick example thread from three years ago:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...0138-code.html

Is it the responsibility of the people on this forum to have to notice RIGHT AWAY you are going to use inferior parts with a known history of not working and STOP YOU from doing so? Or is it the part of the members to REPORT such issues so that YOU can do some RESEARCH and find the information.

Let me guess, you voted OBAMA, didn't you???

Personally, I found out THE HARD WAY about NOT USING Bosch sensors way back in the late '90s when I couldn't get them to work in my ex's Grand Cherokee nor the Jeep Wrangler I owned at the time. Haven't attempted to use one since - not even in the Chevy trucks I've had since then that they are known to work in - I just don't buy Bosch. BTW - I know the Hemi isn't real happy running Bosch Platinum spark plugs either...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 AM
NV290
All Star

Just drove 10 miles round trip back to Auto Zone and the light was still on and the truck still runs perfectly.

They plugged their code scanner in to my truck and naturally got the same code i did. They of course said you have a one year warranty on the sensors, so i could bring back any potentially defective units and they would do a swap out. But i am obviously not going to bother re-installing the same sensors.

My plan now is to give it a few days and see if the light turns off. The tech there (who happened to be an ex Chrysler Tech) said if the truck is running normally it may be that the issue is gone, but the code is staying on untill a set number of "good trips" has been made to satisfy the computer. Once that number has been met, the light will turn off. So long as i am not causing damage to my truck driving it, say fouling the cat with too much fuel, then i can live with it for now.

If i have to buy all new sensors, ill do just that. I found a website that has all the NTK models for almost the same as Bosch. Going to suck to have to pay $200 total for O2 sensors, but it is what it is.

A reccomendation to the Mods, their are dozens of threads in the FAQ section with "How To's" and info on issues with these trucks. But not a single thread i saw covers O2 sensors. If their are "dozens" of posts about how Bosch sensors are no good in Dodge trucks, how about maybe adding a thread in that forum with the caption: "O2 Sensor replacement and WARNING about Bosch sensors". Clearly this is an important topic with these trucks given the cost and the number of O2 sensors on these trucks.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

An 1129 code if memory serves means that the PCM is not getting a signal from the sensor when it looks for one when the engine temperature reaches the point where it switches from open loop to closed loop operation. This would just be my theory and I don't find any concrete proof to verify this - although I didn't search real hard for real long.

It's entirely possible that the problem with the Bosch sensors is that they are "slow" to "wake up" and start talking to the PCM, but eventually do so. Generating the CEL but not really causing any driveability issues. I know when I used the Bosch sensors on the ex's '98 Grand Cherokee I was running rich - which is classic of the engine continuing to run in open loop (the mix is always richer when the engine is cold, ie- at startup/warmup). I also surmised that the problem persisted well after warm up because I'd get other O2 CELs when checking for codes, not to mention we took a slight "hit" in the MPG department, another classic cause of continuing to run rich.

As far as putting a write-up in the FAQ section, it's a good idea, just really needs someone to make a little synopsis of the problem and submitting it.
(That would be a hint ).

One reason I've never put anything in the FAQ or done a specific thread on the issue myself is that if you search the threads, for all the guys who post that they have a CEL when installing a Bosch sensor is that you'll invariably see a post where a guy says he's using them with NO issue whatsoever (which is why I specifically mentioned Weedahoe, who I believe is running both PRE and POST cat Bosch sensors. I have NO idea why some guys can get away with them but so many others can't. I can only speak for myself and know for a fact they popped CEL(s) on both occasions that I used them.
I also used to REALLY like Bosch Platinum plugs and found I got the best performance, best MPGs and good longevity with them in my ex's '98 Grand Cherokee (4.0 I6) but my Hemi HATED them. I would try them in my '02 Grand Cherokee BUT the HO version of the 4.7 is VERY plug specific and again, I read of problems with MANY Platinum plugs in the 4.7 HO on the Jeep forums - of which the Bosch is one. So I'll be using the Champion equivalent of the Mopar part number that the manufacturer states you need (research has proven that Champion MAKES the Mopar one and sells the SAME PLUG for about half the cost).

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-18-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe clearing the codes with the interceptor is the same. Once a code is cleared, it is removed from memory. I would still go to autozone and have them pull it and clear the CEL. Bull**** if you ask me. Where is the due diligence of autozone and Bosch. I hate to say it, but Im glad you did it and we are finding this out.
Checked the other foums and:
http://www.ramforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-39719.html
Seems to be true, well **** what was a 100 dollar gas saver turned into a 200$ cant get my flashpaq because I have to use oem. Sorry guys, love my truck, screw oem. It isnt whether it is better or worse, but the cost is not in proportion with the product. If I was wrong, then we wouldnt be replacing the parts anyways. I am not just referring to o2 sensors.

What?????????

Quick Reply: P1129 Code after new O2 sensors installed.