3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

True dual exhaust hemi H pipe Required?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 PM
franlofter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True dual exhaust hemi H pipe Required?

Hi all, I have the 2007 ram 1500 hemi quad cab and i was going to do a cat back system but now have decided to do true dual exhaust.
I am going with 2.. 40364 Borla Pro XS Muffler - 2 1/2" center inlet / 2 1/2" center outlet

My Question is I called muffler shops and both said they dont use a h pipe or x pipe one told me that it makes no difference unless your pushing 700 + HP

i got quotes of around $350 to do Exhuast out the back with tips so Do i need this H pipe??? any help would be good Thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Originally Posted by franlofter
Hi all, I have the 2007 ram 1500 hemi quad cab and i was going to do a cat back system but now have decided to do true dual exhaust.
I am going with 2.. 40364 Borla Pro XS Muffler - 2 1/2" center inlet / 2 1/2" center outlet

My Question is I called muffler shops and both said they dont use a h pipe or x pipe one told me that it makes no difference unless your pushing 700 + HP

i got quotes of around $350 to do Exhuast out the back with tips so Do i need this H pipe??? any help would be good Thanks
H or X is not true dual exhaust, they converge at the H or X.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 AM
franlofter

well do i need to have this H pipe or x i read alot of people that do have the h or x and they still consider it true dual cause its not like a cat back running behind y pipe

Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
lyndo
Rookie

it's not true dual with H or X pipes, it's only true duals if the exhausts are completely separate from the headers back and the flows never cross. However, I have read that it is better to install an H pipe or x pipe to allow the flows to synchronize (is that the word?) and you end up getting better sound.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:04 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, heres my take on this, and some history on my true dual ex conversion on my 06 2500 Ram 5.7 hemi.

If you have a 2wd, than your going to get the better ex flow right off the hop with a true dual ex conversion, on 4wd trucks, transfer case is in the way.

Left ex pipe off the manifold is longer than the right as it flows into the y pipe.

You will never get a balanced ex flow on a 4wd hemi and thiers no room under the truck to run x pipes or H pipes.

Im not a fan of cat back ex because they keep the stock y pipe and running ex pipes over the rear diff and arround the spare tire add cost and restriction.

I had the y pipe cut and went with a dynomax ultra flow muffler, x pattern inside to balance the ex flow, muffler is garbage as it burns out the fibber glass packing inside the mufler.

Now i run two muflers 2.5 in 2.5 out mounted veritical beside each othier, ( no room to run two mufllers on the flat) Im not sure on the muffler demensions, but Im sure you could run glass packs on the flat.

Now I want new mufflers, ( flow pros on now ) for a more agreasive sound, and new tail pipes running out before the the right rear tire.

It takes a long time to get back the money on the intial investment of a dual ex conversion but if your towing or driving on the high way, thiers a performance gain.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've done my own exhaust on EVERY vehicle I've ever owned, some sports cars, muscle cars and a slew of Jeeps & trucks and have NEVER done a TRUE dual exhaust. I did try it on my 2nd Gen Ram (5.9) and hated the imbalanced exhaust note (and felt that I lost some low end torque). I quickly cut into both pipes just in front of both mufflers and put an "H" pipe in.

On a truck especially, I'd do an "H" or "Y" or "X" pipe, or simply go with a DI/DO single muffler. Just something to equalize pressure.

My current Ram has LT headers and is dual all the way back to about a foot and a half from my muffler, where I go into a "Y", then the SI/DO muffler where it splits again to the two tips...

Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 PM
franlofter

I really cant decide, i dont want a loud setup something somewhat mellow that wont drone in the cab on the highway. I do plan on doing a cam and CAI and headers down the road. I was thinking i could do the true dual in 2.25 pipe with no H or x and see what happens if i dont like it perhaps go back and have one welded in.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Since it doesn't sound like you're going to be doing any of the work yourself, you'll save a lot of money doing it when you do the headers. Going back afterwards and installing headers will have you paying for much the same labor all over again...

Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 PM
305HEMI1500
Amateur

I currently runa cat back with a magna flow muffler on a hemi, would it be worth it to switch to at H or x pipe?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM
franlofter

Thanks for help guys, i ended up just buying the SI/DO Borla with a Magnaflow y pipe
$ 161 plus $150 install not to bad i will let you know how it sounds.

Quick Reply: True dual exhaust hemi H pipe Required?