3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&n cold air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 AM
V8madness
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&n cold air intake question

I installed my intake the other day (black tube) and where the air sensor goes I wasn't able to push it all the way in that rubber groumet. It looks like it should Atleast push to where that rubber o-ring was but I couldn't make it go that far. Does anyone know if it's suppose to go that far and maybe I'm just having a hard time with mine? Maybe a close up clear picture of your setup would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM
V8madness
Rookie

Just noticed today my gas mileage is going down and down. Already lost 1mpg. Could this be from the k&n intake? It wasn't brand new when I got it but I cleaned it up and cleaned and recharged the filter.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Same thing on mine, sensor does not go in all the way to where oring was.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand of intake is it? I know you mentioned K&N but their are quite a few companies who make aftermarket intakes that use K&N filters. I put an Airaid induction tube on my truck and i had to push the IAT sensor in through the grommet. It will fit, just twist it while your installing it.

If the sensor is not inserted far enough, it might not give proper readings on the air temp and in turn impact your MPG. Keep in mind, an aftermarket intake will NOT increase your MPG in any way.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 PM
V8madness
Rookie

It's the k&n 57-1533 and I know it shouldn't increase mpg but it also shouldn't decrease it like it is. I'll attempt to pry the sensor in but I'm not certain if that's what's causing my drop in mpg or not. This didn't start happening till 2 days after I put the intake on. That's when I noticed it on my overhead display. It started out today at 11.2 by the time I was done driving for the day it's down to 10.8. No out of the ordinary driving was done.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year and engine is your truck? While that overhead display is typically very innaccurate, those numbers are horrible. Even if i have a heavy foot around town, i still show close to 15 MPG on the overhead display.

And as for it taking a day or two to show lower MPG's, remember, that display is showing an average MPG, not the exact real time data. So if you did a mod that will hurt MPG's, it will take time for the numbers to start to drop. So it makes sense.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Keep in mind you did a CAI to get more air inside the engine and to make more power. More power meas more fuel which means less MPG

Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 AM
xtremedurb00
Rookie

I had the same problem with my intake...I had to take a razor and trim up the hole a little bit. After some twisting and a few cut fingers later, I was able to get it in all the way. It should go in all the way to the shoulder. About your MPG...everytime you do a engine mod, you'll lose some MPGs because of the automatic heavy foot. Mine seemed to drop a little bit at first too. I've had mine on for about a month and now my MPG average is about 1.5 higher than what it was before the intake. I don't use the overhead. I just average it after every fill up. You'll see alot more power and MPGs whenever you get a tuner if you can make yourself stay out of the throttle.

Quick Reply: K&n cold air intake question