3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Change and Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012 | 09:00 AM
kenneymc
|
Veteran
Cool Coolant Change and Question

I purchased the Zerex G-05 for the coolant change for my truck yesterday. Will be doing it this weekend.

But then I got to thinking about the wifes car, it needs it too. She has a 2005 Pontiac Vibe. It has a Toyota engine in it, much like the Toyota Matrix. Owners manual states to use Dex Cool in it (GM). But from what I read, this is not a good product or atleast mixed emotions about it. Can anyone tell me if I should just use what the manufacture recommends or can I use the Zerex in her car too?? Will it hurt anything? I plan to flush them both out real good. I would have posted this over in a Vibe forum, but many over there seem like idiots.

Old 08-24-2012 | 09:15 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Does it truly have a Toyota engine in it? I have my RAM and 2 Toyotas. One of the yotas is new so haven't done anything with coolant in it yet. The other one, I just swapped out the radiator and put all new coolant in it this year. Toyota recommends buying their coolant. They used to sell it undiluted and it was red and then pink when mixed with water. Now they sell it pre-diluted. However, Zerex makes a coolant that is pretty close called Asian Formula, and that's what I used. It says it's approved for Toyota's right on the bottle. However, Dex Cool was not an alternative. I think you are doing the right thing to question the Dex Cool but you should see what "formulas" are acceptable and go with something similar. All that said, I wouldn't just dump the G-05 in the Vibe unless it turns out to be compatible. I used G-05 in my truck but I used the Asian formula in my Toyota. Below are pix of the Asian Formula. It was difficult to find in stock anywhere but O'Reilly's ordered me a case and had it the next day (I only bought 3 out of the case). I hear that NAPA stores often stock this stuff but mine didn't carry it and didn't offer to order it.

If you haven't already, google "2005 pontiac vibe coolant" and read some of the discussions. Opinions are mixed but both G-05 and "pink stuff" are referred to as alternatives. The "pink stuff" is likely whatever Toyota sells under their own name or it's the stuff pictured below.

Name:  zerex1.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  zerex2.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  73.8 KB

Last edited by 04HemiGreg; 08-24-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2012 | 12:47 PM
kenneymc
|
Veteran

Yes, I'm sure it has a Toyota engine. Just found some of the Asian formula prediluted at Napa and bought some. Gut says to stay away from Dex Cool.

Now I read your post Greg, when you did your flush and fill and was gonna follow it. Where you drain, refill with water only, let it get back to operating temp with heater on full blast, let cool, and drain. then repeat this again. Then refil with proper amount of coolant and distilled water.

Now my next question is, is it ok to do the flush with tap water? Or should I use distilled water for the flush part as well? Just wondering if I need to go buy that much distilled water (about 15 gallons to do both vehicles) and lug it around and back home. Or would just using distilled for the final fill be ok?

Old 08-24-2012 | 02:03 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Kenney, some people do use tap water to flush with and if you are comfortable that you can/will get all of the water out, then it probably wouldn't hurt much. In order to do that, you've got to remove the block drain plugs or there will always be some residual fluid in the motor - possibly a significant amount. It is a pain to deal with that much distilled water but it isn't a pain in the wallet. It sells for well under a buck a gallon around here. So, my advice would have to be to use distilled and then you don't have to worry about leaving tap water in the system.

Pay attention to the part about burping the system too. And after refilling the system, don't forget to check it and refill the overflow if necessary, every couple of days for a week or so. I had to add some to mine at the beginning but have checked it several times since and it has stayed steady on the full line each time I check it.

Old 08-24-2012 | 02:19 PM
kenneymc
|
Veteran

Great thanks Greg, I'm off to buy the distilled water then cause I'm not removing any plugs.

I went by the dealership yesterday to inquire about their 24 dollar a gallon mopar antifreeze. Parts guy and service rep were both saying to just buy what ever antifreeze I wanted. Then after explaining my owners manual and what I learned on here, service rep looked it up, and was like " hmmm I didn't know that". I'm thinking really? This is your job! Then he went on to read the section where it talks about refilling with distiller water and stated " if you get it done here, it won't be distiller water, I can promise you". Made my mind up right then not to use them for service. Lol.

Oh and looked at their posted prices for different services. Diffs - 150.00 each, minor tune up - 219.00 (hemi), etc. I did both diffs with RP, and transfer case for about 100.00. Just goes to show you that if you have the time and inclination, what you can save yourself by DIY. And know its done right with correct fluids, etc.

Old 08-24-2012 | 05:28 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I'd never pay to have my diffs serviced now that I've done it. However, I know the plugs the hemi likes are cheap, but $219 is close to tempting to get those things changed. I've heard quotes much higher than that.

Keep in mind, that if you flush with water and don't drain the block, when you fill up on anti-freeze, you are going to have extra water in the system already. So, know your capacity and add 50% of that in anti-freeze and then top off with distilled water. Then to top off after that, use an empty anti-freeze bottle and make a 50/50 mix. Make sense?

Old 08-24-2012 | 05:51 PM
kenneymc
|
Veteran

Yup totally makes sense. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2012 | 06:09 PM
Buggsy
Professional

Just to add my two cents to the discussion. I also have a GM and Dexcool. There isn't anything wrong with modern Dexcool. The issues were when it was first rolled out in the mid 90's. It's full of anti-corrorsian additives and stuff that's good for you cooling system. The problem that people complain about is the **** that gets left behind if you let the system dry up, or go way past the change interval. For example, my block heater blew out and the system got hot and dry. That left me with the red powdery junk in the system and it needed a good flush to clean it out.

But, that all being said, if you are changing to the good Zero G coolant, look at this is a good time to change the Vibe out as well. I hate having three different kinds of coolant sitting around. I'm just lazy and I already own the other kinds of coolant, so I haven't changed anything over. With my Ram, I do plan to change it over to something else. Dodge's coolant is expensive and I have only found it from a dealer. If I needed to top off on a trip, I'd like to be able to add some universal green without fear of it gumming up the works.

Old 08-24-2012 | 06:15 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Dexcool is crap and always was and still is. GM even knows it which is why they poured a "fix" in any vehicle that suffered overheating. What a joke...

You can put Zerex in anything. I hate all this, you gotta put this specific type of coolant in or else doomsday will occur...lol

Sure, certain coolants are better for Aluminum and such. Zerex is fine for the Vibe. Fine for the Dodge, and fine for Toyotas and Ferds and Cheby's.All engines have aluminum these days and a sealed waterpump. Manufacturers just "require" what they have done the most amount of research on and what they like best.

I dont put much stock into coolant as much as I do with regular changes and use DISTILLED WATER. Tap water has lots of minerals in it and can cause problems.
You can buy distilled water at the grocery store by the gallon pretty cheap.

Just keep up with regular coolant flush/changes and you'll be fine regardless what you run.

Old 08-24-2012 | 10:41 PM
kenneymc
|
Veteran

Understood, thanks all.

Quick Reply: Coolant Change and Question