3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anti-Seize and Grease?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
1ATony
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used anti-seize on plugs for years. It will defiantly help during your next tune-up. I also use it on lug nut threads, and the brake caliper bolts. Even with a little anti-seize those caliper bolts can be tough to break free.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 PM
timekop
Professional

Do a favor for the next guy who gets your truck. It helps so much to grease the threads on plugs, bolts, etc. Quick thing to do to make your job easier later.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't use anything on plug threads. Not being able to get the plugs off means you either torqued them down too much, your engine isn't cold, or you went way over your 30kmi service.
30kmi service plugs don't need anti-seize. 100kimi do and should be used extremely sparingly. Using a cutip is sparingly. Using your finger making a mess is just that..making a mess.
ALL plug boots need dielectric grease. While some may not think it doesn't do anything, they have no idea how electronics work. The smallest amount of corrosion can hinder performance. You need a clean connection for best reliability and performance.

As far as anti-seize causing problems, yeah, if you get that stuff on the electrode it'll cause problems.

**Warning to all anti-seize users. DO NOT over tighten your plugs. anti-sieze is a lube that can allow you to overtigthen!!!
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf

Anyone who uses anti-sieze on spark plug threads should do as follows:
apply sparingly to first few threads only. Once applied, wipe the threads off with a clean rag. there will be plenty there for benefit and nowhere near enough to allow overtighten or plug/performance complications.
a small dab on just on area of threads is usually enough. While threading it in, the lube will spread evenly on it's own.
***In the link above, they are using WAAAAAAY too much anti-seize. Holy crap!

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-04-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM
rought
Professional

I wish anti sieze worked on the exhause bolts,,,, because exhause bolts seem to be the biggest problem removing and they just get worse in time.

Quick Reply: Anti-Seize and Grease?