3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anti-Seize and Grease?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
dsullivan22
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Seize and Grease?

Hey guys,

I see that some of you are using anti-seize when you are changing your spark plugs. Also, some are using the dielectric grease. I have a 2008 Hemi and don't have wires, so do I need 1 or both of these? I don't really see me needing the grease, maybe the anti-seize though. Just want to make sure before I try to tackle this!

Thanks

Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Buggsy
Professional

Anti-seize makes getting the plugs out next time much easier. Especially like the exhaust plugs. It's just good to use on any threads that get exceptionally hot or wet (O2 sensors and wheel nuts are good examples).

You should also always use dielectric grease on your boots, even if they are coil over. It helps the boot from welding to the plug, and it's good for keeping moisture out. You can use it on pretty much anything rubber to help protect the rubber, and lubricate whats inside. I use it on the boots for caliper slide pins. Regular grease or anti-seize can make rubber dry or brittle.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought some grease but never used it because like you stated I didn't find a use for it

Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

I use the anti seize for the part of the plugs that screws into the head to save any headaches down the road, especially with aluminum heads and I use dielectric grease on the cop boots that pop down over the electrode of the spark plug.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Yep, as pointed out already, each thing has its own place and purpose. Put anti-sieze on the threads that screw into the block to make them easier to get back out. Use the grease on the tip where the electrical connection is made.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM
sabin420
Captain

That is all a personal preference to me. Depends on my mood. Do I want to get it all over my fingers or not.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 AM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by sabin420
That is all a personal preference to me. Depends on my mood. Do I want to get it all over my fingers or not.

Like he said its really personal preference. People debate all day long about if anti seize is needed, dielectric grease, others use this instead, there friends buddy had this problem with it, etc etc etc.

Im a pretty big stickler for trying to always be prepared so I make sure I take the time to do it all.

Does it make that big of a difference? Probably not.
Could I get by fine without it? Probably

But if I ever did have any problems, id be kicking myself in the *** and thinking well maybe if I would have did that then this wouldn't have happened, etc etc. So for me personally I expect the worst and hope/prepare for the best so I go above and beyond most. Just helps me feel better about the job I did but it really is mostly personal preference.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

If you decide what to do, or not, based on how dirty your hands will get, wrenching your truck is probably not for you. I cant even check the oil without getting grease on my hands. But, yes, they are suggestions that have potential value, not requirements.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
If you decide what to do, or not, based on how dirty your hands will get, wrenching your truck is probably not for you. I cant even check the oil without getting grease on my hands. But, yes, they are suggestions that have potential value, not requirements.
X2. It's all fun and games until the next time you go to pull plugs and either can't get the coil off without ripping the boot or can't the plug out because the plug welded itself to the head.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
DodgeBluto
Amateur

Originally Posted by sabin420
Anti seize gets on everything! I have a love/hate with that stuff. But I always use rubber gloves when wrenching.

Quick Reply: Anti-Seize and Grease?