3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Ram, 800 miles, Is this Rod Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Atomic Dog
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has ticks (I always think it is a sticky lifter because it sounds like that to me) but I don't hear a rod knock like that. Now maybe it will never get worse or cause you a problem. Maybe it is "normal" in that many have a low knock sound -seems others perceive a similar sound in theirs. Mine does not make that sound.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

For what it's worth, I DEFINITELY hear the knock in your videos.

I am not and have never been a Hemi owner, so consider my view a "fresh eyes" approach.

Get a second opinion on it.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM
mezerr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second dealer said knock was abnormal. They have contacted Chrysler Canada, and are investigating.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Good for you. Sometimes it takes a while to get such things handled. It is very rare. If not really obvious it can be a while before its noticed. I had a customer with a new Gran Caravan same deal as you. It took about 12,000 miles and several complaints before 'we' all agreed it had a abnormal noise. Chrysler authorized a new long block Assembly. I still was handing that van 100,000 miles later.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:12 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by mezerr
Second dealer said knock was abnormal. They have contacted Chrysler Canada, and are investigating.
Just like i said earlier in thread #40, a second opinion can sometimes be the straw that breaks the camel`s back.

Great to hear mezerr, i hope they determine the noise and fix it right, the FIRST time.

I would certainly NOT ever go back to that other dearler either.
Sounds like to me they just didnt give a **** to help you.

Keep us all updated on the outcome...and GOOD LUCK...!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:29 PM
MacDak
Professional

I'm with you, mezerr. I heard the knock in the first video - and, I don't like it either. I can tell you, I would not buy your truck. It does almost sound like a diesel (which I have driven for many years). Even up against a garage wall, it should still be quiet. I don't agree with the idea that being inside a garage should cause it to be that loud. I would be just like you - paying that kind of money for a new truck and it sounding like that? Would worry me crazy. I sure hope Dodge stands by it for you. Let us know... And, to the Dodge person who posted, great! It is good to know Dodge people read these forums! If I owned a dealership, I would require my people to read forums like this at least weekly...

Old 09-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i am a hemi owner and i do hear the knock in it. if they wont fix it run it till it blows

Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM
mezerr
Professional

UPDATE: Chrysler Canada just called, and after talking with Customer Service, Engineering, and the original dealership, they have decided to send the truck back to the original dealership where the truck was bought, and have the engine tech start investigating the origin of the sound. They have a loaner truck ready for me to use while truck is in the shop.

Chrysler Canada, and the original dealership now both realize this is a problem sound, and are now eager to help get it fixed. They are trying to make things right, which is great!

Last edited by mezerr; 09-27-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:21 AM
saberworks
Rookie

If the original dealership is the one that refused to acknowledge a problem, do you even want it sent there? Seems like you should keep the business where they're taking care of you.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 AM
mezerr
Professional

Originally Posted by saberworks
If the original dealership is the one that refused to acknowledge a problem, do you even want it sent there? Seems like you should keep the business where they're taking care of you.
I hear ya. It was decided by Chrysler Canada for the truck to be sent back there. The original dealership now realizes that they didn't properly and thoroughly check the truck properly from the beginning, and just assumed this was the standard "Hemi Tick / Knock". I'm willing to give them another chance to inspect the truck throughly. I think everyone is now onboard that this is an abnormal knock.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ram, 800 miles, Is this Rod Knock?