3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Ram, 800 miles, Is this Rod Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"That is pretty typical protocol of a dealer (any dealership) They are trained to dismiss certain things " NO THEIR NOT! There is no such 'TRAINING" Where do these ideas come from? This truck has a unusual not easily heard,pin pointed noise. I've been threw same situation many times. Its a pain on every one. use to push lets put a motor in it and get done. Customer then is happy and dealer makes a chunk of change! But the manufacture runs their end like ANY business. They want to make sure of things before they spend THOUSANDS. Be it a repair(not a rebuild) or engine replaced and or truck.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM
mezerr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No dice. Chrysler Canada has said that after talking with the engineers, and Dale Wurfel, the noise couldn't be located. The noise has again deemed to be normal in the Hemi. Case closed again. No further repairs are going to be authorized. I mentioned that Oxford Dodge says the problem is abnormal, and Chrysler Canada said they don't believe that to be the case. All trucks have this knock, and it's normal. I pleaded, and pleaded with the resolution manager at Chrysler Canada, and no dice. He wouldn't budge. No further repairs.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well just drive the hell out it till it blows. Then have em come get it.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, drive it till she blows or trade it in for Ford or Chevy...

Old 10-05-2012, 04:43 PM
JasonK94Z

Mines making the same noise. 10k miles on it, synthetic oil (Pennzoil Platinum).

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM
bluedodgeram
Rookie

It's sounds normal to me, the Hemi is not a quiet engine when it's cold, they all sound like that when first started, check the other trucks, and you'll know that it's the normal chracteristic sound of the Hemi.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM
mezerr
Professional

Originally Posted by bluedodgeram
It's sounds normal to me, the Hemi is not a quiet engine when it's cold, they all sound like that when first started, check the other trucks, and you'll know that it's the normal chracteristic sound of the Hemi.
My truck knocks ALL of the time. Not just on cold start any longer. It's gotten progressively worse.

And I checked ALL rams on the lot, none of them knock. Tick yes. Knock no.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
marv02
Captain

Get your self a rubber hose at least 3/4 to 1 inch ID about 4 or 5 feet long put where you think the knock is comming from put the other end to your ear it a way to track the sound down.

I had a Corvette that gave me fits tracking down the noise I think it was cold piston slap I sold the Vett now it the new ownners problem.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM
mezerr
Professional

Chrysler Canada, and the dealer used a stethoscope and pinpointed the noise to one of the cylinders. But, they don't want to put up the money to rebuild, and they are saying knocking from the cylinders is normal.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
oldiebutgoodie
Rookie

Originally Posted by mezerr
Chrysler Canada, and the dealer used a stethoscope and pinpointed the noise to one of the cylinders. But, they don't want to put up the money to rebuild, and they are saying knocking from the cylinders is normal.
NORMAL?? I dont think so...I would say just drive it till she blows like everyone else, but that might not happen until 2 days after your warrantee runs out!!! You said it only has 800 miles on it right?? thats a long time to possible wait man...And I bet you will be worried/unhappy about it the whole time you have it....A man is supposed to be happy with his trk (especially when you pay that much dam money for one!!!)....Take your sleeping bag & lawyer up there and tell them you are not going ANYWHERE until you get another trk. same year, same miles, same color if you want...all they will be out is some stupid paperwork!!! let them sell the dam thing...why is it your problem?? I would raise some hell over this...Talk to the owner of the stealership, pester the S%#T out of them "DAILY" until you just annoy the hell out of them guys until they do it for you......That's what I would do anyway....

Quick Reply: 2012 Ram, 800 miles, Is this Rod Knock?