3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P430 with OBD2 extractions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
QDIII.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P430 with OBD2 extractions

I have an issue with "something" and I can't figure out what it is.
When the RAM in the beginning of the year starts all fine but as soon as I hit the gas, the acceleration was really sluggish. So I went to DODGE and they replaced the spark plugs etc. and mentioned that "someone" was messing with one of the O² Sensors. They did something but the MIL came up again giving me some "Heat Problems" of the Sensor.
Anyhow, I need to do the official government inspection (Emission as well) for the car so they fixed it and mentioned they replaced an O² Sensor and fixed the cables.
So...... The inspection itself failed but passed the emission inspection. I drove back from DODGE with passed inspection of emission but 40 miles later it gave me the P0430 which is basically "catalyst bank 2 under treshold".
I called Dodge that the cat can not fail and give me that code after passing the emission inspection (which is pretty strict in Germany). They said they need to check it.
Some weeks went by and just by the way, the RAM runs all fine except if I stop the engine for only a short while; then the sligthly sluggish acceptance of gas can be felt.
The P0430 comes on LPG Gas as well as E85 so not related to the LPG alone.
I went back to Dodge a few weeks back and the checked the O² Sensors and said "Basically all fine, must be the Cat".
So my idea was to change simply the monitoring O² Sensor from bank 2 to bank 1 and vise versa but the error remains the same!

Mmmmh what to do. I simply can not believe it is the cat as all sounds fine but still the P0430 comes up and now also once a P0300 Misfire.

And here we go:
In order to simply change the O² Sensor before the Cat I laid under the car and now discovered what Dodge actually did. They completly changed all cables and I have a total different O² Sensor on Bank 2.

Here is the comparision to the O² Sensor which is behind the Cat as well as both on Bank 1:

Okay..... I am not able to exchange the O² Sensors from Bank 2 and 1 as they will not fit, but could this be the reason for the P0430?
As I mentioned; Dodge checked all sensors which seems to work fine.

I get my OBD2 Scanner and here are some figures for you experts.
The sluggish acceleration from time to time feels like a fat engine but the ShortFuel Trim with -25% shows that at time of the P0300 it was definetly too lean (If I am not mistake +/- 10% is still within limits for O² Sensors).
Also the "In-Use Performance Track" seems a little bit strange.

I need some guidance as I do not want to replace the cat if the RAM passed emission inspection and it seems fine.

If just someone can give me a hint where too look, what to do, or whatever.... please, be welcome!

Old 08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

The CAT could still be clogged and pass inspection, And a clogged CAT has been know to throw the misfire code. Any weird smells out of the tailpipe?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its also possible the cats are still under warranty and would be be replaced as such under the emmissions warranty

Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM
QDIII.

Thanks for both of your replies.
There isn't that much of a smell from the tailpipe while once in a while I smell some gasoline in the cabin when starting the engine.
In in regards to the warranty, unfortunatly a US car in Germany does not belong to this warranty.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM
QDIII.

Yesterday I was able to extract live data via notebook and software from both o² sensors bank 2. The one (round plug) before the cat was moving like a sensor should but the one after the cat was moving once in a while but not in relation to the first one.
So my friend mentioned that it might be the o2 sensor before cat which is working but giving wrong information.
So my plan to simply replace this one results in the fact that there are no round plugs for my car.
Another friend mentioned that his o² sensors has round plugs but he is driving a 5,9 from 1999.
Could it be possible that DODGE build in the harness/plugs from a model before 2000 while the 4,7 from 2007 needs different o² sensors?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Just get both o2 sensors at rockauto.com they are the same price for two as they are for one in the parts store. But make sure that the o2 sensor you buy is the exact matching brand that came on your truck (makes a difference). No point in just replacing one

Old 09-11-2012, 06:54 AM
QDIII.

Originally Posted by willdikem66
Just get both o2 sensors at rockauto.com they are the same price for two as they are for one in the parts store. But make sure that the o2 sensor you buy is the exact matching brand that came on your truck (makes a difference). No point in just replacing one
And that's exactly the problem!
3 out of 4 sensors seems to be the stock O² Sensors while the 1 on Bank 2 before Cat is the one which might cause strange data and that's the one with the round plug.
At the moment I will not be able to replace all 4 Sensors with the same kind as I have 3 with stock plugs and 1 with the round one!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Thats odd, i dont have a truck that new so i cant really help you with the round one

Quick Reply: P430 with OBD2 extractions