3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mevotech Lower Ball Joint Pics (PRON@!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 AM
rentprop1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 05 Ram 1500 SLT I wasn't able to use any of the fittings or combo thereof on the rental ball joint tool from autozone, we ended up having the beat them out ....FWIW

Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM
guitman32
Rookie

Originally Posted by sabin420
How to use the HF 3-in-1 ball joint kit:

-First take the medium sized ring and cut a slit down one side of the ring splitting it apart.
-Next, when you set up the tool, make sure you have easy access to the slit. *
-Start applying pressure to the top of the ball joint to push it out of the bottom.
-With a flat head screwdriver or pry bar, start spreading the ring.
-Keep applying more pressure and spreading the ring until the ring snaps around the outer edge of the lower ball joint.
-Continue applying pressure until the ball joint falls out of the lower control arm. **
I used your method of splitting the mid size ring...didnt have to spread it manually at all, it took care of itself when pressing out.

I did use an air chisel to hammer in the little lips around the old balljoint to make sure it came out without binding and putting additional pressure on the c-clamp.

Also, since the mid-size ring is the perfect size to push the new balljoint in before cutting the slit, which makes it too big, I just used a c-clamp to hold it closed to fit the lip on the new balljoints while pressing them in...worked like a charm...

Froze the new balljoints overnight also.

* You may need to grind down the edge of the ring so it can slide behind the back of the ball joint between the main body of the lower control arm and the outer ring of the ball joint.
Good heads up on this one, I actually just ground the lip section (non structural) on the lower control arm itself to allow for clearance of the mid-size adapter to sit flush on the main body of the lca for proper removal. Didnt want to grind the adapters if I could avoid it.

Your tips helped greatly...hardest part was actually separating the lower ball joint and tie rod from the spindle. The old bjs pressed out with just a breaker, and the new ones pressed in even easier. Didn't feel like I ever came close to bending the c-clamp.

So, another +1 for the HF balljoint press kit (FYI I ended up with the 4x4 kit as it was on sale and I had a 20% off coupon...actually one of the extra little adapters that doesnt come with the regular kit came in quite useful - "install cup adapter" lower left in the HF picture of the 4x4 kit)

Thanks again!

Edit...there was close to 0.5" longitudinal play in the old balljoints...REALLY SCARY how loose they were...I can say this job completely transformed the truck...front end is night and day more solid and obviously the squeaking is gone.

Last edited by guitman32; 10-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM
BB_cuda

I used the Advance auto BJ press kit. Powerbuilt 648617. It has a large selection of adapters. I used a short on the top side and the medium on the bottom. After i got it started and pushed up most of the way, I switched the top tube to a taller one that closely fit the diameter of the BJ coming up through the LCA. I actually had more of a fight trying to put on the snap wring. It kept wanting to become sort of S shaped when i had it spread open. I used a flat blade screw driver to keep it flap while spreading the snap ring and pop it went on. I used Moog part with the grease zerks. The real difference on cheap vs good BJs is on the inside. I'm just happy to be able to grease them now.

Quick Reply: Mevotech Lower Ball Joint Pics (PRON@!)