3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rod Knock??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012 | 05:49 PM
rpcollett
|
Default Rod Knock??

Sounds like rod knock to me , what you guys think? Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuySW...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-09-2012 | 11:32 PM
sabin420
Captain

Definitely a noise from the lower end. If you take the engine apart now, you might be able to save the block from further damage. It sounds like a wrist pin to me. Hopefully not a spun bearing. If it's a bearing failure, you might be in for some expensive machine work to do on the block. If it's the wrist pin, you might get lucky enough to just be able to change the pistons. Either way, that motor is shot. If you get a new motor, I'll take the heads and valvetrain (lifters, pushrods, cam) off your hands.

Old 09-10-2012 | 01:19 AM
T-Muns
Veteran

Sounds pretty familiar https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...sound-bad.html

Sounds exactly like mine. Everyone tells me that's what the hemi tick sounds like from underneath.

Old 09-10-2012 | 01:32 AM
popdog
Veteran

My truck has also made this noise since I got it at 30k. I might not be as loud and royal purple seems to help, but I'm pretty sure this is the hemi tick that you hear standing next to the truck. In fact that's the way I first noticed it. I tried to pinpoint the source of the tick. I don't think it's a major cause for concern. Just drive the truck. You would spend more trying to fix it you're better off driving it til it dies and dropping in another motor.

Old 09-10-2012 | 01:34 AM
popdog
Veteran

In fact when I had a race car building mechanic working on it he mentioned hearing a lot of valvetrain noise, which is the believed source of the hemi tick.

Old 09-10-2012 | 02:43 AM
abarmby
Champion

Hemi tick right there.
Al.

Old 09-10-2012 | 01:09 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I know this is beating a dead horse but hemi tick. You just have a real good video feed and its not distorted like others are. I wouldnt worry about it

Old 09-10-2012 | 05:44 PM
sabin420
Captain

I had a weird ticking in my HEMI. Sounded like it was coming from the valvetrain, but after having my buddy test drive it (he's ASE Auto Trans Master Tech). He recommended unbolting the torque converter from the flywheel, pushing it back away from the flywheel and start the motor. See if the noise goes away. Guess what, the noise went away. The torque converter had some kinda problem. (Could be the source of this notorious HEMI tick.) Changed it out with an aftermarket performance one made to handle 800HP...a little overkill (right now). And my tick went away. But that does not sound like the tick I had.

Old 09-10-2012 | 06:10 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sabin420
I had a weird ticking in my HEMI. Sounded like it was coming from the valvetrain, but after having my buddy test drive it (he's ASE Auto Trans Master Tech). He recommended unbolting the torque converter from the flywheel, pushing it back away from the flywheel and start the motor. See if the noise goes away. Guess what, the noise went away. The torque converter had some kinda problem. (Could be the source of this notorious HEMI tick.) Changed it out with an aftermarket performance one made to handle 800HP...a little overkill (right now). And my tick went away. But that does not sound like the tick I had.
Hmmm interesting to hear. What Tq did you go to?

Old 09-10-2012 | 06:22 PM
sabin420
Captain

I'm not sure, I don't know about Automatic Transmissions, so I let my buddy do the shopping for me and do the whole rebuild. I'll get back to you and let you know what kind he got me after he gets off work and responds here in the next 30-45 minutes I hope.

BTW...Trans had 206K at rebuild and time of the ticking to start.

Quick Reply: Rod Knock??