3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck just failed inspection...advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True....ours are done by LNs....Crochtey old guy that you need one of those super-secret decoder rings to understand what he writes...

Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 AM
R0ADHEAD

Sounds like they only expect to see Mercedes, BMW and Porsche roll through the inspection. I bet you don't see too many mid 80's Jaguars on the road. The tolerances on those engines were so loose, they gave away Jaguar stamped oil pans at the dealership when you bought them.

It's a big American made truck, the inspector probably doesn't see those too often.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

We don't have any special machines here at K-Town. They just visually inspect it and put it over a pit where they look at the underside of the vehicle. They ARE **** about it, though. Funny thing, is that I had a harder time with my truck (failed twice) with the USAF enlisted guy that worked there than I did with the LN's (one of those guys actually really liked the truck!).

As for the leak, take it and have the underside steam cleaned right before you take it for re-inspection. I had a problem with the traditional weeping power steering. I thought I had it taken care of with just the power washers on base, but apparently it wasn't good enough. I think the steam clean was something like 20 Euro and it took about 15 minutes to do.

Don't know what to tell you about the shocks. I've been told that it is pretty much luck of the draw who you have inspecting your vehicle that day on what they are looking for, and how they interpret the vague regulations.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Bigboytoys
Professional

Well, I got up under it yesterday, and there was one drop of oil in the front near the timing cover...wiped that down, but the rear crossbrace (where the trans bolts to the engine was covered in oil. No sign though of leakage near that location....so I wiped it down also...going to drive it this week and then pull it back into the garage to see if it is still leaking and it should give me a better pinpoint location if it is. (It's nice to have a pit in the garage)

Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

Ok...so I just checked the cross-brace again, and sure enough, oil....Is this a sign of the rear main seal bad?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Could possibly be, then again we cant really tell exactly where the oil is coming from

Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Bigboytoys
Professional

I took it to Dodge, and the mechanic seems to think that it is leaking at the back end of the oil pan gasket. He said he wants to replace that first and see if the leak stops...A new gasket thru them cost €73! :O Checked Autozone and it cost $43....so I think I am going to order the gasket thru AZ...

Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Rockauto!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've always had REALLY good experiences with RockAuto and shipping over here, even through the APO system. Seems for some reason I get stuff from them much quicker than any other place I order from.

Hey, BBT, can I borrow your stock wheels for a few minutes when my Annual Dance notification shows up in the mail? I'm due in November, so it should be getting here any day, now. I dont' hold out much hope of passing with these tires again this year.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

ROFL! Sure, as long as I have yours to roll around on until your done...I don't think the wifey would appreciate me having two vehicles that cannot drive, and I sure as hell ain't driving the scooter or her rollerskate to work...

Quick Reply: Truck just failed inspection...advice needed