3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New TO ME Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 AM
hemi4109
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club and I'm sure you'll enjoy the truck. Makes sure you check the FAQ section for a lot of helpful hints on these trucks.

I also look for purpose rather than brand loyalty at this point and realize every brand as their issues but after owning all of the big 3 trucks, I can say my Ram has done the best job. Sure I've changed a few parts and had minor work done but nothing unexpected for an '04. Now for shocks I ordered the plain old HD series from Bilsteins which are great but don't offer adjustment. Now I can't help you for rust since they don't clear most roads around here and use much salt. As much as I miss the clear winter roads in Ontario, I can't say I miss the salt.

Last edited by hemi4109; 09-18-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by hemi4109
Welcome to the club and I'm sure you'll enjoy the truck. Makes sure you check the FAQ section for a lot of helpful hints on these trucks.
Thanks.

I'm not fussy on "reading up" as most of it is doom and gloom.

Let's face it....I enjoy automotive forums. I come during the good and bad. Many users come only when things are bad. If I start reading everything, I'm going to be paranoid with every little subtle sound and quirk.

But I will start reading maintenace tips.....and I currently hear a sound from the left front wheel that sounds suspiciously like a bearing.
I can hear it going straight and I can hear it turning or swerving right. Noise disappears turning / swerving left.

Ho Hum.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a wheel bearing. There's a write up somewhere on changing them out i think if you determine that is the best course of action.

I agree about the doom and gloom, reading up on models is ok, but there is WAAAY more of the bad represented than the good, especially places like edmunds.com. I enjoy the help diagnosing and fixing stuff, it's nice to have directions and advice at the tip of your fingers more or less. Almost all of the issues i've ever seen people raise they are able to get it figured out.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 PM
nobby
Professional

Good news!

I went to the local Chrysler dealer and had them run my VIN.

Seems as though the original buyer bought the truck June of 2008.

That's good, eh? It means I still have 8 months and 28000kms left on the drive train warranty.

But WAIT! There's more!

It also appears that owner #1 bought the Gold warranty plan which means EVERYTHING is covered for the 5 years. That bad left bearing should fall into that catagory.

But WAIT! There's more!

It also seems as though owner #1 sprung for the factory rust proofing that runs for 7 years!

Getting the truck for the price I got it for, having it completely fill my towing needs, Nobette and the Nobsters love it and now the bonus warranty.

I'm feeling pretty good about this truck.

Now if I could only get more than 450kms out of a tank of gas.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

if you do a fair amount of city driving, you will see a mpg bump by putting in an efan, other than that keeping everything tuned up is the best thing you can do.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by ewing111
if you do a fair amount of city driving, you will see a mpg bump by putting in an efan, other than that keeping everything tuned up is the best thing you can do.
I knew what I was getting into when I bought the truck.

I do wince when I fill the tank though. $112.00 empty to full.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Heck seems like they should have just wrapped the truck up in gold for ya! You got away with a heck of a steal !!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Sounds like you got a sweeeet deal. Good for you on the extended warranty. Hopefully you wil never need it.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:59 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nobby
Good news!

I went to the local Chrysler dealer and had them run my VIN.

Seems as though the original buyer bought the truck June of 2008.

That's good, eh? It means I still have 8 months and 28000kms left on the drive train warranty.

But WAIT! There's more!

It also appears that owner #1 bought the Gold warranty plan which means EVERYTHING is covered for the 5 years. That bad left bearing should fall into that catagory.

But WAIT! There's more!

It also seems as though owner #1 sprung for the factory rust proofing that runs for 7 years!

Getting the truck for the price I got it for, having it completely fill my towing needs, Nobette and the Nobsters love it and now the bonus warranty.

I'm feeling pretty good about this truck.

Now if I could only get more than 450kms out of a tank of gas.

Nobby,

Congratulations on your recent purchase!!! Glad to hear everyone's enjoying the Ram and your surprise of the additional warranty. If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Nobby,

Congratulations on your recent purchase!!! Glad to hear everyone's enjoying the Ram and your surprise of the additional warranty. If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me!
Thank you. I will definitely look you up.

Chrysler cares!

Quick Reply: New TO ME Dodge Ram