3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent wiper DIY fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good luck, hope it fixes your problem. It's nice to not have that weird random wiper thing going on.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
weezer131
Location: Pioneer stereo, Fosgate punch speakers, Halo headlights, Curt double locker goose neck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weekend

Didnt think there was that many people out there with the same problem as me..lol.. I know what im doin this sat..

Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Chase Lejeune
Rookie

very nice write up! i dont think people realize how much of a hassle it is to make one. gotta give credit where credit is due!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM
ewing111
Captain

Originally Posted by Chase Lejeune
very nice write up! i dont think people realize how much of a hassle it is to make one. gotta give credit where credit is due!
Thanks! It is kinda a pita, the worst thing is just remembering to take pictures along the way. At least this isnt a particularly dirty job, I didn't have to have someone else taking pictures or get my phone all dirty...

Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM
patooyee

Can anyone confirm that this is THE solution to ALL of the intermittent wiper issues out there? IE, sometimes don't work, sometimes work on high for 2 or 3 swipes, etc?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 AM
ewing111
Captain

This is a cheap way to try and fix your problem before you go replacing the motor and/or whole wiper assembly. If you search around the forum, you will see this solution working for I would say maybe 70% of people who have this issue (just a guess), the others have bad motors or other issues which can't be fixed by this.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM
patooyee

Ignore this post.

Last edited by patooyee; 04-01-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

There was a recall. My wipers worked for a few months from being bought new. they failed, and about a year later after not having wipers, got tired of it, went in. And they said there was a recall on a certain part. Im assuming its that part. You guys might want to check in at the dealers, to see about a recall. It gets you the part replaced for free.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 AM
patooyee

Originally Posted by Got_Mitch
There was a recall. My wipers worked for a few months from being bought new. they failed, and about a year later after not having wipers, got tired of it, went in. And they said there was a recall on a certain part. I'm assuming its that part. You guys might want to check in at the dealers, to see about a recall. It gets you the part replaced for free.
The recall is shady. It only applies to trucks that had their OEM wiper motor replaced at a dealership with a Mopar wiper motor. Many trucks (Like mine.) came with the Mopar motor as OEM and have all the same issues but aren't covered by the recall for some reason. This was my case. So just because my truck came with the crappy motor instead of had it replaced I'm SOL in Chrysler's eyes.

Anyway, I replaced my motor yesterday because a reman unit at Advance was only $40 and I figured I only wanted to do this once. It does seem to have completely cured all of my random wiper issues. Some tips:

- The wiper arm keys are a PITA! They fall out even if the arm is installed correctly. And when they do they fall down into the plastic cowl that you already removed and reinstalled. To get them back you have to remove it all again and start over. I think once the wipers wipe once it applies the tension that normally holds them in place but I couldn't even get one to stay in while I installed the other. So I used rubber cement to hold them into the arm while I installed them. I also wouldn't recommend installing all the Christmas Tree plastic push pins until last just in case you do need to take it all apart to go after one of the keys.

- The Christmas Tree push pins get pretty much destroyed when you pull the cowl. They are part number 963-056 at Advance Auto. You can find them on the revolving display unit with the packaged nuts and bolts. These are an exact fit, you need 6 of them. I found some packages came with 5, some with 3. I'm sure you could buy them cheaper in bulk somewhere but for this job 2 packs is enough, 3 will get you some spares.

- During your install makes sure one of the wiper arm pivot levers doesn't get rotated up. If it does installing the cowl again is more difficult but possible. Then the first time you turn the wipers on it rotates up into the plastic cowl, possibly damaging it. Both pivot levers should point down.

One last little tid bit of info, I was able to find 2 different friends-of-friends who are service techs at different Dodge dealers and ask them both about this issue. They both immediately recognized it and were 100% certain that it was the wiper motor and NOT the multi-function switch or FCM. So this is very common and their confidence about it being the motor is another reason that I just went ahead and spent the $40 instead of spending my time taking little things apart. (I work on trucks a lot, my hands are big, strong, callused, and beefy, not exceptionally dexterous. Working on tiny little components not only cramps them but also pisses me off, sometimes resulting in the component in getting thrown at a wall or the floor with lots of force.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
patooyee

Well crap, the new wiper motor fixed it for a while and now its back. What now?

Quick Reply: Intermittent wiper DIY fix