3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to the Board - Begging for some help. Electrical - PDC or FCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Screwbs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Board - Begging for some help. Electrical - PDC or FCM?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Let me start by saying I've always enjoyed this forum and the great help it has offered me I just wish I would have signed up earlier.

I'm presently driving a 2002 Dodge Ram SLT 1500, 4.7l 4x4.

Let's just say I did a cat back dynomax system on her Tuesday and then the truck does this.....

Hopped in the truck Thursday morning. Fired her up and the lamp out light flashed and chimed. I jumped out of the truck and checked the headlights. The passenger side was out. I hopped back into the cab and turned the fogs on so I could drive home a touch more safely. When the fog lights turned on the passenger side lights up and the drivers side goes out.

This also happens with Hi Beams.

Seeing how strange that was I did a complete inspection when I got home. The drivers side break light is out. The only signal that works is the passenger rear at twice the speed it normally does. The signal on the dash flashes at twice the normal rate.

The Hazards flash on the dash at a normal pace and the passenger rear light flashes at the correct speed as well.

My rear running lights and reverse lights work fine.

I have checked all bulbs, all fuses and all relays.

After digging around on-line I stumbled by this old thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ule-fcm-6.html

I pieced together a few more things. "Hey my low washer fluid light has been on for 8 month and my fluid isn't low" "Yeah my wipers sometime have a mind of their own"

This gave me a good lead but still leaves me with a very expensive guess.

Is it the Front Control Module or is it the Power Distribution Center?

There is a what sounds like a signal under the hood now which points at the FCM. There was also slight corrosion on the bottom lines into the PDC.

Has anyone run into this problem? How do I know what part to throw money at? $300.00 for the FCM and $600 - $800 for the PDC?

Anywhere online I can get these cheaper?

Sorry for the long rant but I'm starting to loose more hair....

Any information you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

That's really a strange one. I'm doubt I can help, someone will eventually come along, but I want to throw this out there. Look under your fuse box by the battery. Known as TIPM. I think you year model has the bottom exposed to the weather and elements. Do a good visual check there. Maybe even reseating connections etc. the totally integrated power module could be causing some strange electrical issues. Disconnect battery before doing any work in there.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM
1500hemi4x4

i would say its the front control module check the out puts for the things that are not workiing

Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Screwbs

The PDC was disassembled today. Many points were corroded green. Board was cleaned, terminals cleaned up and electrolytic paste is now covering all terminals and the board. I'm at work and left the remainder of the reassembly to my guy who is slaving away under the hood. Should have an update later this evening. I'll let you know how it goes

Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

weird problem, interested to see if that fixes it.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Screwbs

Running lights are now out. Fcm looks to be good upon inspection and pdc is cleaned up as best as possible. Will be touring the scrap yards, kijiji, and side roads for test/replacement parts. Hoping someone can point me in a different direction I haven't tried. Does anyone have any additional insight......

Old 09-26-2012, 03:34 AM
Screwbs

It was indeed the PDC (Fuse Box). I hope this can help someone out one day. The truck was off the road for 4 days =/

Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome information. This should definitely help out someone, someday Glad you figured it out!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

Hmmm, good to know. I guess what I called the TIPM and what you called the PDC are the same thing?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kenneymc
Hmmm, good to know. I guess what I called the TIPM and what you called the PDC are the same thing?
Only 2006+ have TIPM's. Totally Integrated Power Module which is a circuit board like a computer that uses transistors for siwtching power.
2005-prior use Mechanical relays for switching power.

The 2005-prior years are WELL KNOWN for fuse box corrosion on the underside. it's the first place I tell everyone to look when diagnosing weird electrical issue's!!

Quick Reply: New to the Board - Begging for some help. Electrical - PDC or FCM?