3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

diesel engine flush?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Matt6869
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel engine flush?

Posted a few days ago about the low oil pressure in my 06 hemi (non mds) after switching to synthetic. The general consensus was the pickup screen was clogged. Oddly enough though, I only loose pressure when the engines hot so with the oil being thinner theoretically it would flow better with a partially clogged screen.

My buddy suggested trying a thicker oil, so I went and got some gtx 15w40, just to try it out. But again, same issue as soon as it heats up the pressure drops right off anywhere under 2000rpm

So is it really a clogged pickup? I'd rather not drop the pan.. was thinking of doing the diesel engine flush.. letting it sit over night, but it scares the **** out of me has anybody tried it?

Also.. sending unit seems to be a common issue.. but would it only act up when the oils hot?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old timers used to do that.. diesel or kerosene.. I would highly NOT recommend it, though, because they did it for extreme reasons only.. like coolant flooded valleys or some other contaminant in the engine.. the part most leave out, is that they pulled the pan afterward and sopped it absolutely dry, and only after pouring it directly over the lifter valley...

It's a really bad idea unless your engine is stripped naked.. it is guaranteed to loosen particles clinging to hard parts and depositing them in your pan and elsewhere.. when its done, its only done to an engine with the intake manifold OFF, and the pan OFF, with a big ol pan sitting on the ground to catch it, or the real pan held up with only corners loosely bolted..

If you run anything lighter than 0 weight oil (such as atf or kerosene/diesel), if it doesn't hydro lock your engine, it may very well make it a bomb. It will easily hydro lock it, and that will be the end of that hemi's saga.

Just drop the pan and swap the pick up screen, or clean it.. it only takes an hour or so from start to finish, and then you'll know.. . Chances are, that's your huckleberry.. if not.. well, eliminate that first before we go into that...

Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of people using Mineral Oil to flush out oil pans... but they always follow-up with flushing a few quarts through it too....

Why waste the time and money, just pull the pan and see if that's your problem.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Matt6869
Amateur

even going directly through the dipstick? figured that way it would be strictly in the pan and nowhere else? Then id rinse it out with some cheap oil a couple times before filling with rp?

Also isnt it a major pain in the *** to drop the pans on these trucks? was gonna do it yesterday but after looking at what i was working with, thought id see if there were any other options.. still dont understand why i only have low pressure when its hot, especially with a 15w40

Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Put a direct reading pressure gauge on it. Its possiable you have a bad sender. Direct pressure gauge will tell you for sure if something is wrong.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Matt6869
Amateur

Originally Posted by p38251
Put a direct reading pressure gauge on it. Its possiable you have a bad sender. Direct pressure gauge will tell you for sure if something is wrong.
just picked one up from the dealer, wasn't the cheapest but if it fixes the problem, im happy. Any tricks to this or just a simple unplug and unscrew?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I use MMO but only when i can wipe away what it pulls off, you dont want to have to drop the pan a third time

Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Matt6869
Amateur

sooo replaced the sending unit and still having the same problem. so looks like im dropping the pan. any tips/ tricks to this? noticed there are a few bolts on the pan that have lines connected to them, how do you remove the plastic peices that hold them on there (retarded question i know) either than that after i take all the bolts out its it reletively easy to shimmy it out? Whats the best method to get it all cleaned up?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Any degreasser, Gas(only on the pan though), Mineral solution

Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Buggsy
Professional

The funny thing about diesel is that it's not even half as good a cleaner as gasoline. I had known a few people to add it to engine oil for a while. I'm talking like a half a pint, maybe 3/4 at the most. They never seemed to have issues, but like everyone said I would not do it.

Just drop the pan. If you have a 4X4 you'll need to support it and drop the cross member first. Unless you can somehow sneak it around but it looked trapped to me. Be ready for that, but otherwise it should just be a lot of bolts, no hoses or tubes going to the pan.

Quick Reply: diesel engine flush?