3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fram XTended guard 10,000 mile protection filters.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fram XTended guard 10,000 mile protection filters.

My son bought me a set of fram filters when on holiday in the states for my 03 Hemi.
One was for the engine oil.
The exact model is "Fram XTended guard 10,000 mile protection filter XG16 for synthetic oil".
I live here in the UK and filters can be expensive.
Question is, I've read several stories where people have said Fram filters suck big time!
I don't want to waste this filter by chucking it but, are these ok to use?
Particularly this model filter.
Al.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a lot of Fram filters. I've never had an issue with one. That said, I wouldn't leave any filter in that long.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 AM
loflyer2
Professional

I've been using that filter for a couple of years now with no problems. I change the filter every other oil change. You'll like it.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a nice filter with Synthetic media and metal end caps, BUT, it does have a plastic bypass valve and a very thin metal body(outer canister part) which you can probably squeeze with your hands and feel. I guess the thin metal part isn't of concern if the filter is tucked way up out of any sticks/brush being able to damage or poke any holes in it.
If your using it for standard oil changes, it's descent. I wouldn't use it for extended intervals as stated in their claims. The pleats are very thick and can cause reduction in flow which is the case with ANY oil filter I suppose when going extended intervals due to obvious blockage from too much particulates in dirty oil.
I think it's filtration is excellent and the anti-drainback part is as well even though it's plastic. It could have a few more seals inside there for contamination purposes, but I think it's still better than a cheap paper capped filter.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 AM
abarmby
Champion

Cheers for the quick replys.
Yeah.... Ill change it out after 5k mikes, as I do with all engine oil and filters.
Just wanted to know if I was safe for 5k??
Al.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I used nothing but Fram, until i got on here. Of course my oil changes are so short it dosent matter but i want the best for my truck. Now im looking for a better more sturdy filter, maybe puralator

Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 PM
sabin420
Captain

I've always used Fram. The first time I didn't use Fram (because it was a special, filter and oil), I got an engine knock within 5 miles of changing the oil. That time I used a Bosch filter. I will never use a Bosch filter again. I ended up having to change the motor. I've used K&N, Purolator, and Napa filters on other vehicles without a problem too.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sabin420
I've always used Fram. The first time I didn't use Fram (because it was a special, filter and oil), I got an engine knock within 5 miles of changing the oil. That time I used a Bosch filter. I will never use a Bosch filter again. I ended up having to change the motor. I've used K&N, Purolator, and Napa filters on other vehicles without a problem too.
Note to self lol

Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fram got a bad rep for the drain back valve.. it would stick, and ruh roh raggy...

They've tried to beat that rap for a while now.. they went as far as to serve mother mopar with papers when the TSB for diesels went out (telling folks not to use Fram, round about '01 or so)..

The problem has been addressed, but the damage done in my opinion.. filters are relatively cheap, and good dang insurance.. I won't use anything but champion labs products.. I floggin love the royal purple gizmo, but even with it you'll never find me running more than 5k on one..

Oil changes are simple, and worth a lot more than just the change itself.. it gives you an opportunity to crawl around under and around the truck, which let's you discover other issues fairly early.. you can see the condition of the oil, and if you care to open a filter you can see even more.. grease points, ujoint pulls, ball joints, shocks, brakes, rack leaks, CV joint boots, air in tires, yada yada blah.. all a simple check every 5k miles while your oil drains, that can save you a fortune... And for the cost of oil and filters.. just my opinion, though..

Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Yeah cause we all cant trust the guy at the shop telling you that you have a problem. I look forward to my oil changes. And it paid off when i took my heads off while pulling the valve covers i found hardly any build up and 0 sludge

Quick Reply: Fram XTended guard 10,000 mile protection filters.