3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

armchair troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
myoukey
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default armchair troubleshooting

Ok everybody. Put on your troubleshooting hats for a minute. On a 2007 ram 1500 5.7, what would make it so that there is no response to the key? I have been doing a major overhaul (more on that later) and now when I put the key in the ignition there is no response and nothing turns on - no dash, no radio, no crank. There is not even the security light blinking. It is like there is no power getting to the dash. There is power to the seats and such though.

All the fuses have been checked. The battery was tested and charged. all connections were doublechecked.

I am in the process of checking all continuity from C219 (underdash connector) to the TIPM (fuse box).

Looking for help brainstorming. Any ideas?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 PM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ignition switch would be my first guess...take the steering column apart and unplug the electrical connector on the ignition switch. Make sure you get continuity when you turn the key. The seats can move without the key in the ignition along with the dome lights, head lights, fog lights, tail lights, brake lights, and all the accessory outlets except for the cigarette lighter.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 PM
myoukey
Amateur

i will check that, but shouldn't there be a blinking security light on the guages without the key?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need more information... if you removed the engine then you are likely looking at a main harness that is not plugged in on the firewall...

Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only time I have ever seen the red blinking "security light" on my truck was when the battery was about to die.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
broggyr
Professional

I had an issue with my old 94 Chevy where the battery was fully charged but I got no response from the lights, key, anything. It turns out it was the main cable from the battery to the starter; it was corroded all the way from the battery to the starter. I replaced the cable and cleaned the connections and I was good to go.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 PM
myoukey
Amateur

thanks for the inputs. I relocated the gounding points in the engine comaptment and was able to get everything to power on today. I did however have the front passenger automatic seatbelt fire when I was playing with the radio... hmmm.... I am now double checing all the wiring there. also there was no respnse from the motor when the key was turned to the 'start' position. double hmmm.... still a ways to go before the project is complete.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by myoukey
still a ways to go before the project is complete.
Work on your truck is never complete

Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 PM
myoukey
Amateur

true true.

the project at hand is putting an 07 hemi in place of an 02 4.7. getting close with that. ironing out a few issues, but should be up and running soon.

there is still a mile long wish list after that.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know I have seen this before on a Jeep, it turned out to be the key that was the problem.

If you have a spare key that used to start the truck, try that key instead of your main key, it might work.

Just a thought, but I have seen it before, and it's definitely worth a shot.

Quick Reply: armchair troubleshooting