3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Adding Fog lights to 08 1500

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM
redram2007
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Izero
don't buy that POS!
What do you have against this or making one? Will it affect the TIPM? Or just the install?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ebay one is of unknown origin, and isn't verified to work with the TIPM system... the one I posted in the link is of good quality and is known to work perfectly with the TIPM system... I've heard nothing but horror stories when people buy car electrical stuff on Ebay or Amazon, etc. etc.

You get what you pay for...

As for making one myself, I would have way more confidence in using something that I made, than something that is from China and isn't up to quality standards...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Status update. Install done. Gotta get it programmed :(

Finally got to installing my fogs last weekend, replaced the base switch with an OEM Switch that has the fog function. Went to install the lights and the bezels wouldn't fit. Grrr. So on the phone to the place where they were bought, and of course I waited too long so they couldn't take them back.
The bezels looked right, they just had a lip still, and the stock grate filler things that were on the truck didn't. Since they wouldn't take them back, I had to file them down to the right size. PIA, but my fault for waiting so long.

Went to dealer today (Saturday) said they don't have anyone that could do it today, and it'll be $90 - $115 to do the programming when I bring it in during the week. This is what threw me: The service writer said they have to hook up the truck to a computer, that is also on line with Chrysler, so the equipment package can be updated. WTF I bought a truck made by Microsoft?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM
redram2007
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dolt_Dodger
Finally got to installing my fogs last weekend, replaced the base switch with an OEM Switch that has the fog function. Went to install the lights and the bezels wouldn't fit. Grrr. So on the phone to the place where they were bought, and of course I waited too long so they couldn't take them back.
The bezels looked right, they just had a lip still, and the stock grate filler things that were on the truck didn't. Since they wouldn't take them back, I had to file them down to the right size. PIA, but my fault for waiting so long.

Went to dealer today (Saturday) said they don't have anyone that could do it today, and it'll be $90 - $115 to do the programming when I bring it in during the week. This is what threw me: The service writer said they have to hook up the truck to a computer, that is also on line with Chrysler, so the equipment package can be updated. WTF I bought a truck made by Microsoft?
I feel your pain when i was at the dealership last week to get mine turned on nobody really had any clue as to what was going on. Therefore i had to help them i also had to give them the oem part number of the kit (in which i didnt have with me)for them to verify with Chrysler that it was correct so they could add that sales code to their star scan to turn them on. When he got done he said "sorry it took so long, but after waiting on Chrysler to verify the part number i hooked up the star scan and didnt realize that there was already an option available to activate them." Gotta love some techs.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog's in and working.

Got to the dealer yesterday, $90 and an hour later fogs were working fine.
So If you have an 08 ST, you can add the Dodge fogs or aftermarket ones, hook them to the harness that's near the driver's side one, replace the non-fog headlight switch with one that has them, take it to the dealer, get it programmed and it should work. (The fog light indicator in the dash works too.)
My dealer won't do the import setting that allows the fogs to stay on with high beams. If you want that, you're probably best to go with the separate switch stand alone system.

This whole process would have been a lot easier with the certainty that they'd work, and the Dodge setup where the bezels actually fit.

Thank all of you who've posted to help me on this!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 PM
skytracker

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 and purchased the factory fog light kit. Easy to install, but when I went to plug the 2 white wires into positions 23 and 24 on the green connector in the TIPM box, spot 24 already has a wire in it. Any sugestions? There are other positions open on this plug, but not sure what this plug does.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to call the dealer on that one to make sure you won't be messing with anything else. You might already have a wire ready to get plugged in somewhere...

I'd be worried I'd void my warranty installing stuff like that on a brand new 2012 truck... lol unless it's already expired...

Old 12-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Cody Custer

I have an 08 ram sxt. I have plugs next to the fog light openings, just don't have the fog lights. Can I buy fog lights plug them in ane replace the headlight switch and be good or do I need to get my tipm reprogram?

Quick Reply: Adding Fog lights to 08 1500