3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM
xiskids
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram won't start

I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 4dr, 4x4, 5.7L hemi. While was driving it the check engine and check gauges lights came on and the truck lost all power. The engine still cranks and fuel pump is working, but won't start. Took it to a dealer and they said it is something internal in the engine and didn't tell me what he codes are. Told me to just replace the motor with a used one. Any suggestions what the problem is?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM
loflyer2
Professional

You need to know the codes. If you paid the dealer to diagnose the problem then he needs to tell you the codes also. I don't think your dealer is being honest with you. I had similar symptoms and turned out to me my camshaft position sensor. A $25 part that you can easily replace yourself.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 PM
07Chuck
Rookie

Hydrolocked? Over heat it lately?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 PM
xiskids

No the truck was running fine was never overheated will take a look at it this weekend and check the sensors

Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

replace the crankshaft position sensor and re-try, then drive it over to the dealer and tell them where to stick it.... lol

Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can download the FSM from Weedahoe's sig, and look up all the DTC codes and diagnostics for free from the FSM.

From reading your post, and if it happened as you said, it sounds more like a electrical or computer issue. An internal mechanical failure doesn't usually lead to a systems power outage, especially if the engine cranks over but no start. Check the basics first, spark, fuel, air.

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 11-03-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xiskids
I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 4dr, 4x4, 5.7L hemi. While was driving it the check engine and check gauges lights came on and the truck lost all power. The engine still cranks and fuel pump is working, but won't start. Took it to a dealer and they said it is something internal in the engine and didn't tell me what he codes are. Told me to just replace the motor with a used one. Any suggestions what the problem is?

xiskids,

Difficult to say without the full diagnosis details. I would recommend asking to speak directly to the Service Manager. He should be able to advise what the repair will have to be and why.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
You can download the FSM from Weedahoe's sig, and look up all the DTC codes and diagnostics for free from the FSM.

From reading your post, and if it happened as you said, it sounds more like a electrical or computer issue. An internal mechanical failure doesn't usually lead to a systems power outage, especially if the engine cranks over but no start. Check the basics first, spark, fuel, air.
I agree seems electrical.

To the OP you cant just check sensors you have to have a clue or a code pointing you to the sensor. Get the codes they told you that you had and let us know what they are.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
xiskids

The codes i got are:
C0301
C0154
P0001

Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitions:

C0301 - Failed Suction Fan (Cannot find any additional information on this yet.)
C0154 - (Cannot Find anything on this code ANYWHERE)
P0001 - Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit/Open (Electrical Short in-line with the Fuel Pump and/or Fuel Regulation System)

I am having trouble believing that the C-Codes are genuine DTCs.... mainly because I can't find any record of them AT ALL.

To get a true list of C-Codes, you need to do the following:

1) Insert Key
2) Press and Hold the Trip Button (with ignition off)
3) While Holding Trip Button Turn Key to ON but do not start vehicle.
4) Watch the Show and Write all Codes down.

Considering you said all your gauges when nuts it has to be a C-Code or multiple C-Codes, so doing that procedure will help us narrow it down.

All of your issues point to something crazy going on with your electrical system.

Lets start with pulling the real C-Codes, and then we can go from there.

Quick Reply: Ram won't start