3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another HID thread?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Influencer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another HID thread?

Alright, I've been reading the wealth of information from here all day, and I want a couple opinions from the Dodge guru's.

My dad drives a 2006 Ram 1500. He recently wanted to upgrade his headlights to some halo rings with a HID kit. So he bought it from some online store. It was a plug-n-play kit.

When he first got it and we installed it, the HID's(low beam only) would work as long as the truck was not running. If we started the truck, the lights would flicker 3-4 times and then go off completely. Turning the truck off and the headlights off for a minute reset this.

Contacted the company, they said we needed the warning cancellers. Got them shipped, installed and the same thing, flickers 3-4 times then turn off.

On his way home today he stopped by the store, when he got out and tried to start his truck he said the gauges jumped around and the truck wouldn't start, would only click a few times. Windows & radio still worked.

Had the battery tested, it tested fine, tried to jump start, didn't do anything.

After reading some more, I think it may be an issue with the TIPM, but I'm not sure. It seems to be too much of a coincidence that this happened right after installing the headlights(today was the first time he'd drove it since installing them). After reading the posts here, I see he should have got the relay instead of the canceller?

Is his TIPM fried? Or possibly just needs to be reset?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have DRL's?

It would take quite a bit to fry the TIPM system... check all of the fuses...

If you do have DRL's on that truck then the TPIM system might be shorted so it has shut everything down to protect the rest of the truck, so unplug the lights and try.

What brand of HIDs did you buy?

If they are cheapo China Brand then that is most definitely what caused the issue.

hard to tell what the issue is without seeing the problem first hand though.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Influencer

Not sure, my dad bought everything, I just helped install. I think they were Spec-D?

The truck does not have DRL. The way the truck is acting its like the battery is completely dead, but I find it hard to believe the battery would just die that quickly, we're talking it starts fine, turn off, then nothing. After charging and trying to jump it, nothing.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site

See and read this thread

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Influencer

I read that thread, definitely informative. Its the fact I'm not sure what has happened...or what could have happened.

If its not likely the TIPM has gotten screwed up, and charging the battery/replacing the battery doesn't resolve the issue, I have no clue what has happened..

Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Its not the TIPM. Its not the battery or anything else more than likely. It is the cancellers you are using. Get rid of them and use load resistors like what are used in that thread I linked you to. Read that thread and understand why you need the load resistors and you will understand why cancellers will not work

Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Influencer

So the cancellers will cause the truck to act like the battery is completely dead?

My dad isn't the most electrically inclined, and he started having the issue after he left my house, so I haven't had the chance to look at it. I believe he said he removed the cancellers and I think he completely disconnected the headlights. If so, any idea what the issue could be then?

He's pissed at the headlights(and the ****-poor instructions with them) and is wanting to send them back. I'm trying to get him to buy the load resistors but not sure if I'll be successful.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You bought cheap ebay headlights from China and expected them to come with instructions? LOL

Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Influencer

I didn't, he did, but point taken. I was only called on for help with installation and then the subsequent troubleshooting. It took me a good 45 minutes to talk him into believing me that the youtube video he watched wasn't with the exact same headlights so installation would be different

Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

It's cool and I understand.

If it were me, I would take out the new and put back in the old. If all works well and you verify everything is good, then swap back in the new and check and double check the wiring.

Quick Reply: Another HID thread?