3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Coil packs are stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
Where did you get those numbers? I called a yard today and can get a Hemi for $1500, probably less if I work the deal right.

Then I need a wiring harness, so another couple hundred $$, and an ECM or a flash of my ECM, and the exhaust.

Those are the major components are they not? and that's only about $2000 so far (minus the exhaust)

Am I missing something?
Sounds like you got a heck of deal.
But You never specified if you were going new or used... so 5,000 is a rough estimate depending on where you live and who you know.

I could sit here for a while and name off little things that get/keep the Hemi Running.
So yeah you could easily be missing something

Did you plan on anything being broke inside the motor? What about those parts you may have to replace? 5,000 dollars is like i said a rough estimate.
If i was about to do a motor swap i wouldnt budge to start buying parts or a motor until i was comfortable spending at least 5,000.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izero
Yes you're missing a ton of stuff... you'll need basically everything in the Engine bay from the Hemi... Do you'll need a donor truck and you'll need damn near everything mechanical and electrical on it.... you'll be pulling all of the interior out to get at the wiring harnesses... it isn't a simple job, but it is possible.
ahh. I didn't really think it was "simple", obviously there would be work involved, but this is why I was doing the research.

If that's the case then it's just a matter of fixing this one up a bit so it'll get a good trade in value plus I gotta try for slightly better mileage, I just need to shave $20 of the weekly fill up.

When I'm done school in Jan. if I'm able to land even a decent job, I'd have the cash flow for a much better upgrade.

I really just needed a truck in the interim.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by willdikem66
Sounds like you got a heck of deal.
But You never specified if you were going new or used... so 5,000 is a rough estimate depending on where you live and who you know.

I could sit here for a while and name off little things that get/keep the Hemi Running.
So yeah you could easily be missing something

Did you plan on anything being broke inside the motor? What about those parts you may have to replace? 5,000 dollars is like i said a rough estimate.
If i was about to do a motor swap i wouldnt budge to start buying parts or a motor until i was comfortable spending at least 5,000.
I could see $5000 being reasonable to do the job, but honestly if I was going to spend $5000 I'd just trade this truck in and get and '04+, I've seen them for good prices, just not prices I could afford when I was buying a truck.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Very understandable.
I wasnt saying that there is no way to get a Hemi in your truck for under 5,000.
I was just saying that its very hard to get just a motor that cheap much less a whole motor that cheap. Dont want you to go buy a 1500 dollar motor and the componets you need and the motor be locked up of a disaster inside. Plan for 5,000 plus though.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

There isn't a huge difference in power though between the two is there?

10HP and 30 ft-lbs? I'm sure that could easily be gained on a 4.7.

What I would like though is for the transmission to be a BIT more car-like. The FSM says that the TC can lockup in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th but I don't "feel" it doing so, or I'm not in the right RPM range.

I don't like cruising around with the engine at 2k RPM, and would prefer it to sit around 1200-1500 RPM with a locked up TC around 60kph.

as it is now the TC seems to lockup at around 80kph.

I have a FlashPaq 3865.......but it sucks.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I have the same SC its not the best.
Try a Tranny line booster it dosent lock up the TC just makes the shifts alot firmer

Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Would controlling the TC manually cause problems? It could be done on my cougar but the way the system worked would cause it to burn out the solenoid if it was used too often.

Or what other transmission tweaking options are there for the 4RFE? would it be worthwhile to disconnect the battery and let the adaptive system start over?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:09 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

It really wont do much disconnecting the Batt but every little bit counts.

TRM Delete. (Torque Reduction Managemant it takes the slip out inbetween shifts).
Some people like the TRM some dont want to try it.

Tranmission Line Booster https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-booster.html

Shift Kits and Higher Stall TC thats about it

Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say we fix his current issue(s) first... then we get to power mods.. lol

Old 11-08-2012, 03:58 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Lol he is the one who asked what else could be done.
But yes problem then play!

Quick Reply: Coil packs are stuck