3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Coil packs are stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izero
I say we fix his current issue(s) first... then we get to power mods.. lol
It's all just coming down to money right now, I could barely afford the air filter I bought today that it needed.

I won't be able to buy new plugs until next week at the earliest, and even then if one or more of those coils are in need of replacement (I'm guessing all of them will be) then that's going to be more money that I don't have right now.

I was just wondering what else could be done, no harm in learning while I wait to fix the important things.

God only knows when I'll be able to buy lifters/springs/rockers to do that job.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems like you're putting the carriage in front of the horse. Why are you trying to pull the coil packs if you don't even have the plugs? Air filter is only $10 max. Judging from your posts if you break one you're SOL. Cool your heels before you break something you can't afford to fix!!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by 66three83
Seems like you're putting the carriage in front of the horse. Why are you trying to pull the coil packs if you don't even have the plugs? Air filter is only $10 max. Judging from your posts if you break one you're SOL. Cool your heels before you break something you can't afford to fix!!

The air filter cost me $20, but otherwise I agree, When I went to inspect the plugs I wasn't expecting that the coils would be stuck, Thus why I haven't continued to try and pull them off until I can replace them.

I figure given the state of them that it;s best not to remove them until I can replace them all, either that or the truck has down time and I drive my Cougar.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it costs money, and trust me I know all about being a broke college student... I worked two jobs all through college and just barely scraped by so trust me I know all about it.

Here are the steps I suggest to you:

1) Get Coils Off

2) Get Spark Plugs Out

3) Compression Test (if results are okay skip step 4)

4) Leak Down Test (if bad fix problems indicated by test)

5) Replace Plugs

6) Replace Coils/Wires

7) Reset Computer

Test your results.

Don't expect a major increase in MPG, you're truck is rated at like 16MPG MAX Highway... best most people ever see is 14 mpg....

Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if all 8 of your coil boots break, you still won't have to replace any of the coils. Up until '08, the coil boot is separately replaceable. They sell them at Advance Auto for about $5 I think.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by Izero
I know it costs money, and trust me I know all about being a broke college student... I worked two jobs all through college and just barely scraped by so trust me I know all about it.

Here are the steps I suggest to you:

1) Get Coils Off

2) Get Spark Plugs Out

3) Compression Test (if results are okay skip step 4)

4) Leak Down Test (if bad fix problems indicated by test)

5) Replace Plugs

6) Replace Coils/Wires

7) Reset Computer

Test your results.

Don't expect a major increase in MPG, you're truck is rated at like 16MPG MAX Highway... best most people ever see is 14 mpg....
I'm not looking for huge results, and if I got 14mpg I'd be laughing. I'm just trying to get it closer to my car.....it is if you scale it up, in my car I'd use 3/4 tank in a week. I'm using 3/4 tank a week in the truck. same size engine, half the weight being pulled.

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
Even if all 8 of your coil boots break, you still won't have to replace any of the coils. Up until '08, the coil boot is separately replaceable. They sell them at Advance Auto for about $5 I think.
I did not know this. The manual says they aren't serviceable or separate, so does everything I've read, but I didn't know which years it applied to.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 AM
tantofolder
Professional

Since the coil packs seem pretty well stuck,it may be worthwhile to try prying them with one of those plastic putty knives.Those will be less aggressive than a screwdriver, and should still provide some leverage.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Rockauto.com has the coils at 20 bucks a piece. I know its not much of a difference in price but every little bit counts right?

Old 04-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Tyson Maylone

I have the same problem on my buddies 2003 Ram with the 4.7. The first pack came out pretty easy and all the other feel like they're glued in there. We're about to buy all new coils and put a pry bar on them 😂😂

Quick Reply: Coil packs are stuck